Sign in to follow this  
bonecollector

Ulmer Edge

For some reason i just cant seem to bring myself to throw a mech at an elk, i liked the way the ulmers flew out of my bow though. With it being this close to season id try to stick with whats working.

I just decided to re fletch all my arrows with 4 fletch. What a mistake this is, only have a week left!

I shot my first archery buck yesterday using the ulmer edge broadheads. Recommended to me by whtmntman, thanks btw, because of how well they flew being almost identical to field tips. I shot the buck at 47 yards quartered to me. He ran 100 yards and bedded down, got up and ran another 30 and expired. The blood trail was easy to follow and there were several spots where the buck lost a lot of blood. I was a little concerned about the heads deploying and remaining locked open upon impact. But after yesterday all concerns have been laid to rest :)

I have shot 8 elk including a 330 bull all with mechanical's. One key to success other than shot placement is arrow weight. All mechanical s take a little more oomph to get those wide cutting blades through. I shoot a 475 grain total arrow eight for that reason. I like big holes on big animals like Elk. The bigger the animal the bigger the head. The holes my heads make are not gonna get covered up by tissue and stop the bleeding/blood trail.

Dang some peoples eyes are way better than mine and I just got my eyes calibrated with a new pair of glasses last month. How in the world can you see the arrow impact at 120 yards? I know there is enough time in flight that the critter could take a step while the arrows on its way but there must also be enough time in flight to drop your bow and pull up the bino's too. LOL. Risky IMO.

GBA

• Like 1

gonna make up my mind today after talking to jeramy ulmer at chasen a dream

jeramy convinced me . thyats all he uses and said they will hit were you point them. thanks jeramy

Im sure you know Jeremy is related to Rusty and Randy Ulmer?? That's not to say that the Ulmer head inst a good one, that also not to say Jeremy isn't a great guy, I have never met him. We chated by e-mail briefly when Rusty was coming out with the edge. My hunting partner from Sunflower cant say enough about Jeremy.

The Ulmers Egde a great mechanical head and a lot of thought went into it. I perfer two things and this is just personal preference. 1) on a mechanical head I want the body/furrel penetration at least an inch deep prior to the blades entering the hide. Ulmers are a half way up the body, more towards the tip. 2) I shoot mechnicals for one reason only, I want huge holes at 2 inches or more slice on entry 100 percent of the time. Ulmers is too small for a mechnical in my opinion. There are fixed heads out there that are nearly as wide and have at least another blade. With that said, no doubt they will kill elk and perform well.

GBA

I just shot my bull with an ulmer edge. He was broadside at 32 yards the broadhead did the job. He went 100 yards and piled up. The only thing that worried me is I didnt get a pass through. I was shooting a bowtech experience set at 72lbs and a 404 grain arrow. I didnt hit any ribs so you guys can take that for what its worth.

Ok I'm sure this will upset a few people but why is it when a hunter misses or his broadhead doesnt blow a hole like dynamite or blow through and go another 100 yrds it's the broadhead to blame? It killed the animal in a timely fashion flew and flew straight. An elk is extremely dense and i know of a few hunters shooting 500gr arrows 80+ lbs cut on contact fixed blade heads and arrows just pushing through the other side but still being lodged inside. Big deal. It worked and killed what you shot at. Isn't that enough?