Sign in to follow this  
bonecollector

Ulmer Edge

Thanks to the help of Bonecollector I was able to get some Ulnmers and tried them our a couple of weeks ago. I tried shooting 5 different broadheads into my Rienhardt target. Please note, all I was testing was accuracy compared to my field points at 40 yards, not penetration, blade expansion, etc. I tried the following:

Mechhnicals:

Rage

Ulmer Edge

Swhacker

All three seemed to shoot pretty consistent with my field points. But I gave the edge to the Ulmers because I liked what seems to me to be a smaller more compact and stronger construction. The Ulmers do not open as easily as some of the others, but I don't think it would be a problem on an animal like an Elk or a deer.

Fixed:

Montec

Slick Trick

I've had issues with Montecs shooting the same as my field points in the past. There was no improvement this time around. I was very impressed with Slick Trick which seemed to be dead on with my field points arrow after arrow.

My winners:

Slick Trick & Ulmer Edge. I will probably rotate between the two depending on the animal I am hunting.

/>

I personally think they look a lot like shwackers with a different name on them, and a higher price tag!

I cannot buy "schwackers" based on their name alone and by that I mean it sounds like those who designed let their 5 year old kid give them their name..

Thanks bonecollector for starting the thread and WHT_MNTMAN for your continued input on these UE posts.

Wow, talk about being 5 years old! Compare the schwacker to the ulmer edge side by side, they are almost identical.

I never judged your opinion AZHUNTER05, nor did I say they're unalike, just happen think schwacker is a funny name.

For instance, I didn't mean to offend you and I hope you "schwack" a deer this season!

lol - seriously no offense directed out from this keyboard

/>I never judged your opinion AZHUNTER05, nor did I say they're unalike, just happen think schwacker is a funny name.

For instance, I didn't mean to offend you and I hope you "schwack" a deer this season!

Lol, I thought that escalated quickly ;).

/> I never judged your opinion AZHUNTER05, nor did I say they're unalike, just happen think schwacker is a funny name.

Diminished even quicker!

/>

/> I never judged your opinion AZHUNTER05, nor did I say they're unalike, just happen think schwacker is a funny name.

Diminished even quicker!

No doubt! Talk about disappointing. What happened to the good old days where people would go on for pages and bashing each other for days. Then at some point they would start dragging each others family members into the insults.... wait, maybe that is my wife and I am thinking of.

• Like 2

I use them now... have not killed with them...but like how they deploy and how they shoot!! I get mine at Chasin' a Dream Outfitters in Payson... Jeremy always has some on hand.

AZHUNTER05, no offence but Schwacker and the Ulmer Edge are nothing alike. You may think they look alike but they actually deploy opposite of one another.

Schwacker is a jack knifing type head that deploys after it has went through the hide inside the animal. The wing blade axial point is at the bottom of the ferrule so that the tip of the blade comes out of the ferrule like a jack knife blade. The Ulmer Edge is a rearward deploying head that fully deploys prior to going through the hide and stays locked open. The pivot point is at the wing tips (center of the ferrule) that deploy the blades at the rear not at the tip of the ferrule .

I prefer a rearward deploying head that fully opens/deploys prior to entry, Schwacker does not. If im going to use a mechanical its going to be for a big hole on entry and exit, Ulmer Edge isn't as big as Id like nor does the ferrule penetrate as deep as id like prior to the blades contacting the hide.

GBA

• Like 1

i been experiencing with both the swackers and ulmers both flew the same but the ulmers make an awful rattle at first shot the swacker not so much im a noise freak hate it, cant stand it, dont want it...

i been experiencing with both the swackers and ulmers both flew the same but the ulmers make an awful rattle at first shot the swacker not so much im a noise freak hate it, cant stand it, dont want it...

I notice a little noise if i was intentionally shaking it but I did not notice a noise when slinging the arrow.. Thanks for the input though I'm going to shoot a couple more and re-evaulate that noise..

• Like 1

im gonna be using the swackers this weeknd but i have 6 ulmers 1 i used for target practice so if any body want to buy these and ur in the east valley give me a messgae and ill let them go for 40$ i do not have the original packaging put have the extra bands and set screw for the practice mode

Both my son and I have killed Javelina with the Ulmer Edge and both performed flawlessly. 1 @ 11 yds the other at 13 yds. I wouldn't use them on elk as I use an entirely different set up for larger game, but I would have no issue putting them on a deer set up. I have not experienced any noise from them.

P.S. - Bonecollector - your avatar is killing me. :(

• Like 1

just bought some but i don't no if i should use them for my elk hunt or stay with my NAP thunderheads. what do you guys think