standman

Magnum primers in a standard cartridge?

I think I have around 700 magnum rifle primers. My question is, does anyone have any experience using magnum primers in standard cartridges (270, 30-06)? Would you have to reduce your load to accommodate? Any help or info on this Would be appreciated. Thanks.

Brian

No experience here... I'm curious to see if anyone has ever poked that bear and has data to back it up. great question!

The magnum primers will cause higher pressure because there are more gas/flames igniting the powder. If you try it, you should reduce your load... I have some non-magnum primers you can have... A couple hundred.

• Like 2

I have done it in the past and had some success with it in cartridges based on the 30-06 case while using the slow burning powders. Generally as a rule I do not use a magnum primer until I have a powder charge over 58 grains. You will find more often than not a magnum primer can give you very erradic pressures and standard deviations in your loads when used in a standard cartridge. There are exceptions though it all depends what your rifle likes.

firstcoueswas80 hit the nail on the head. Just back off the powder and they are just as effective.

The magnum primers will cause higher pressure because there are more gas/flames igniting the powder. If you try it, you should reduce your load... I have some non-magnum primers you can have... A couple hundred.

If no one picks up those primers I will gladly take them off your hands!

/>The magnum primers will cause higher pressure because there are more gas/flames igniting the powder. If you try it, you should reduce your load... I have some non-magnum primers you can have... A couple hundred.

Thanks on the offer. I have a lot of regular primers. I just have these from a 7mm mag my dad used to have and they are just sitting there. Just trying to find a use for them. Maybe I will try them starting from a min load and see how they work. Or maybe find someone who will trade for some non magnum primers.

Brian

learning from old timer 1000yd comp shooters i only use mag primers with 4831, 3100, rl 19 and rl22 in '06, .280 and .270 cases. the story goes that hodgdon started making 4831SC(for Short Cut) to get more even ignition and decent accuracy with standard primers. never take shortcuts working up a load.

lee

Magnum primers can be used in standard cartridges when using ball powder like W760 / H414. I use them in my 257 Roberts with W760 and 85 BTs.

Thanks for the replies guys. Looks like ill just keep it safe and not use them.

Brian

As suggested in the Speer section of the 7mm-08 Complete Reloading Mannual 120 Grain speer with H380 and CCI Magnum primer. I've used the same load with Sierra pro-hunters for years out of my 7mm-08 with great success. H380 is also a ball powder.

There was a topic about this on another forum. Fellow switched to magnum primers in his 7mm-08 and reduced group sizes by a respectable amount. Couple of other posters related positive results with other "standard" cartridges. Look here: http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/ubb/showflat/Number/7929683/gonew/1/Lemme_Give_Mule_Deer_an_Attabo#UNREAD

I reload about 100 pcs of any and all calibers weekly and only use magnum primers in everything for my rifles. I got tired of looking to see what was what and switching primers around.

Many of the LR guys think that under 90 grains of powder, standard primers work best. I found that to be true with my 300 win mag but the edge worked best with magnum. Then again, one uses 70-80 grains and the othe 90-100 grains.

I have definitely experienced high pressure signs using magnum primers in cartridges that are not optimum for them as well as scattered extreme spreads.