Sign in to follow this  
Flatlander

Bun in the oven

My daughter is 9 (and my oldest) and loves her bow and her new 7mm-08. She's a beast on the soccer field, especially when she's playing goalie. Like you, I was scared to death when I found out we were having a girl. i was raised by a combat-hardened dad and I knew how to raise a rough and tumble boy...but a girl? I made a conscious decision that having a girl wouldn't change much in our life. She's been hunting and fishing with me since she was 3 and camping with us since she was 2 months old. I'm taking her to Texas this November for her first deer/hog hunt and she can't wait. When she cleans up, she likes her dresses and skirts and she's just as beautiful as she is in camo. Relax, take a breath, and your instincts will kick in. You will do great. Our son will be six in December and, now, I wouldn't trade raising her first for the world! CONGRATS!!

• Like 2

Congrats on the new baby girl, you will have fun! My oldest daughter 5 years old. I'll tell you what, they are just as fun as any boy! My Daughter loves to play sports (Baseball & Soccer), go camping, fishing and has now started using my predator calls. She loves to help me with anything I am doing. Whether it be washing my truck or doing yard work around the house. My daughter is more attached to me then she is with her mom. Every time I start packing for a hunting trip she begs to go. I always feel bad knowing she can't. So I started taking her out to some trails on the weekends to do a little hiking and get her ready for when she is ready to head out with me. I can't wait 'til the day she heads out with me on her first hunt.

All I can say is enjoy them as much as possible! My daughter is only 5 years old and seems like the time just flew by. Have fun!!!

My congratulations on having a girl soon. I'm sure you will handle it just fine. Girls shoot better than boys anyways so that has to be exciting. Can't wait to see her picture here on cwt. :)

TJ

• Like 1

awesome post after reading all the post i cant wait to get home from work and give my 5 yr old daughter the tightest hug i can i take her out with me to cabelas and we literraly spend 2-4 hrs just walking around the whole store 3 or 4 times and last night she asked me if we can go to cabelas after church on sunday

• Like 1

I would be lost with boys.I have two girls also.the oldest(5y) loves to fish, shoot her22lr, shoot her bow. She's has gone on a few dove hunting trips. And a successful coyote calling hunt. She's hung her share of trail cameras. Now she gets bumed out when I go out with out her.

• Like 1

I have to tell you a story about my oldest daughter. When she was about 4or 5 years old I decided to take her on a dove hunt to see how she accepted it. She had been on many camping outings and such but hadn't ever been exposed to the blood and such. Well after a little while of sitting a dove flew over and I winged him. She jumped up, super excited that I had got one, and went to retrieve him. When we got to him I was perplexed to see that he wasn't dead, just wounded. She chased and caught him and immediately began the task of nurturing this little bird. I was horrified. My best laid plan had went way wrong...instead of hardening her, I seemed to have made it that she would never want to hunt herself. For about the next 15 minutes, I sat there scanning the skies and listened to the sound of her talking endlessly to the dove. When I was just about ready to throw in the towel, her beautiful little voice asked me a question I will never forget, "Daddy, can I pull his head off now?" Oh the relief I felt at that moment!!! Don't worry, daughters are an absolute gift from God! Enjoy it.

• Like 5

I have to tell you a story about my oldest daughter. When she was about 4or 5 years old I decided to take her on a dove hunt to see how she accepted it. She had been on many camping outings and such but hadn't ever been exposed to the blood and such. Well after a little while of sitting a dove flew over and I winged him. She jumped up, super excited that I had got one, and went to retrieve him. When we got to him I was perplexed to see that he wasn't dead, just wounded. She chased and caught him and immediately began the task of nurturing this little bird. I was horrified. My best laid plan had went way wrong...instead of hardening her, I seemed to have made it that she would never want to hunt herself. For about the next 15 minutes, I sat there scanning the skies and listened to the sound of her talking endlessly to the dove. When I was just about ready to throw in the towel, her beautiful little voice asked me a question I will never forget, "Daddy, can I pull his head off now?" Oh the relief I felt at that moment!!! Don't worry, daughters are an absolute gift from God! Enjoy it.

That's an AWESOME story!!!

Huge congrats on the new baby girl! I'm not far behind you, will be finding out next week! JIM>

• Like 1

+1000! made my morning!

• Like 1