Sign in to follow this  
BurlyBear

What do you think?

Couple of thoughts on this.

Bear spray is probably your best defense against an angry bear ... that and a handgun for backup in case the bear shakes off the spray (which is not common).

FMJ's will penetrate better than a hollow point, but the damage from an FMJ is much more limited. Your best bet is soft points that will expand slower than a HP, will penetrate deep, but will still open up and cause a fatal wound channel.

Final thought ... don't use bear spray on the two legged vermin. They will sue you, and you will lose big. There are better ways to deal with that vermin than spray.

I use hard cast loads in my backup handguns while hunting. I would try out these buffalo bore loads, 200gr @ 1000 fps would be a bear killer for sure. If using an OEM glock barrel, you need to make sure you fire some test rounds to make sure there's no lead buildup in the barrel.

https://www.buffalobore.com/index.php?l=product_detail&p=349

I have such bad bear "JuJu" that i can send him some of my old hunting shirts!!...it will keep bears away for miles!!! :lol: ...boy i aint kidding!!..lol! My buddy that has outstanding dogs!!! that runs a bunch of bears every year and is pretty damm good at it does not want to take me out anymore!!...dogs cant even "RIG" a track when im around!! :wacko: ...EVER!!! :o ....says i make him feel like a beginner!! :D

Or I could give him SMITTY's shirt. :D

;) 1+ Burly Bear!!

Bear spray is effective on humans aswell.

yes and it goes real good on your burrito if you dont have salsa as well! ;) ...just sayin!... :D

.45 FMJ is my backup plan. I carry 3 mags of FMJ and one of Hydrashok.

Yeah, I recommend FMJ in order to penetrate that thick hide, but I must agree bear spray would be best and it's not too expensive. Amanda if you have a really cool bear spray video I'd like to see it.

here is a link to the video.

http://www.coueswhitetail.com/bear_spray_clip.wmv

Very cool video. Thank you! Over this weekend it's not bears you have to look out for, but those 4-5 ft long black tail rattlers!!! This guy was about 3 feet away before we saw him, and right in our path. Didn't make a sound. :blink: Lucky for him I didn't introduce him to my boom stick.