Sign in to follow this  
BurlyBear

What do you think?

So I had a conversation with a friend of mine about all the bear activity we have been having lately and he was a bit concerned with his first time archery deer hunt coming up. A question came up that I think would be a good post on this site.

Other than his bow, the only other protection he will have is a .40 cal Glock. Ideal I told him if he encountered a “burly bear” (nice huh) it would probably be best to have something a bit larger caliber like a .44 mag unfortunately this is all he has.

So here is my question. With a .40 cal high capacity mag and fmj rounds will that take out an angry charging black bear coming at you?

I’m pretty sure you can take out a bear with a well placed shot from a .40 , but good luck with that in the heat of the moment. It might be better to fire at the ground and scare him away. Thoughts, comments?

ditch the fmj and get rounds that open up.

really dont think one will charge even if it has cubs down here in Az unless its after dark and it is protecting cubs or a food source

Get a really good bullet and a well placed shot and he will be fine! A little common sense goes a long ways!

Adam

I have such bad bear "JuJu" that i can send him some of my old hunting shirts!!...it will keep bears away for miles!!! :lol: ...boy i aint kidding!!..lol! My buddy that has outstanding dogs!!! that runs a bunch of bears every year and is pretty damm good at it does not want to take me out anymore!!...dogs cant even "RIG" a track when im around!! :wacko: ...EVER!!! :o ....says i make him feel like a beginner!! :D

• Like 2

Bear spray, bear spray, bear spray and the bow and the backup gun.

We too have seen a big increase in bear activity and this will be the 2nd year I'll have bear spray strapped to my pack. Unless I'm hunting them, I don't want to kill a bear. Amanda posted a video awhile back about bear spray.

I've seen alot of bears in 27 and 1 (always out of season) everyone of them was running the other way. Saw a momma and a cub in 34A and they both took off once they noticed I was there. Not saying they don't charge but it not at the top of my fear list.

• Like 1

Hollow points are not good for thick skinned animals. for a .40 S&W, 180 grain jacketed soft points in +P if avaialble, if your gun can handle them.

Hollow points are not good for thick skinned animals. for a .40 S&W, 180 grain jacketed soft points in +P if avaialble, if your gun can handle them.

That is nice to know, as I carry a .40 caliber Glock and 13 hollow point rounds when I bear hunt!

Another solution is to buy an OTC bear tag if your deer hunting unit overlaps with an open bear unit.

/>Bear spray, bear spray, bear spray and the bow and the backup gun.

We too have seen a big increase in bear activity and this will be the 2nd year I'll have bear spray strapped to my pack. Unless I'm hunting them, I don't want to kill a bear. Amanda posted a video awhile back about bear spray.

+1000 if bear is out of season Bear spray will drop, stop and repel a bear in its tracks.

Bear in season, .357 with hot loads.

That is nice to know, as I carry a .40 caliber Glock and 13 hollow point rounds when I bear hunt!

Another solution is to buy an OTC bear tag if your deer hunting unit overlaps with an open bear unit.

I have read some articles over the years that hollow point bullets would expend too much energy upon impact in the thick hair and fatty hide of a bear, and poor penetration will result. Especially in lower velocity calibers.

It probably wouldn't be as much of a factor in calibers such as the .500 or .460 S&W.

Hollow points are not your best option. FMJ is going to do the best on the thick hide...

Hollow points are not your best option. FMJ is going to do the best on the thick hide...

I think I will switch out to FMJ rounds, which hopefully would suffice on dangerous predators with thinner hides as well.

When I do carry I take my 40 S&W. My first round is a soft point then hollow alternating. But the last 3 are soft points. I only carry when I'm alone. "Experts" say its nearly impossible to make a fatal shot on a charging bear. I feel that bear spray is more effective. I have never had an issues with bears while hunting.