Sign in to follow this  
Big Browns

Less than 30 days before Dove Season

My son and I are really looking forward to Dove Season. Last year he got his limit almost every day. He was the happiest 9 year old. I'm hoping he can limit every day this year. It's going to be a great year either way! I'm planning on taking him to the Robbins Butte kids Dove hunt for the first time. He's going to love it.

I hope the White Wings stick around for opening weekend. I saw a lot of them a few weeks ago, but not as many lately.

Adam

Seem to always see lots of white wings until about a week before season opens...I did see a couple last year while hunting and managed to hit one or two of them. :D

I managed to get a limit of white wings on the second day of the hunt last year. I thought I had a honey hole, but it dried up after that day. It was a lot of fun. There were so many white wings. I was letting dozens of Morning Dove fly by, because there were so many White Wings. It was an Awesome day.

last year was probably the worst year for us...i took some kids out to our normal spot and the rancher kicked us out due to other idiots. We got some tips on a few other spots and it was not good. Only one dove killed last year between 3 kids. I was trying to get my youngest son hooked on hunting and dove was the key and last year was a bust for us. Hopefully this year I can find something. If anyone dont mind sharing a spot for a few kids shoot me a pm and I will keep shut about it. Thanks guys

last year was probably the worst year for us...i took some kids out to our normal spot and the rancher kicked us out due to other idiots. We got some tips on a few other spots and it was not good. Only one dove killed last year between 3 kids. I was trying to get my youngest son hooked on hunting and dove was the key and last year was a bust for us. Hopefully this year I can find something. If anyone dont mind sharing a spot for a few kids shoot me a pm and I will keep shut about it. Thanks guys

Definitely take them to Robbins Butte for the youth hunts that G&F puts on. http://www.azgfd.gov/outdoor_recreation/wildlife_area_robbins.shtml

I used to look forward to dove hunting more than anything. I got tired of getting peppered all day and worrying about others not being safe when shooting. Maybe this year I will look for a place where I can go with less people and be able to take my daughter out.

Definitely take them to Robbins Butte for the youth hunts that G&F puts on. http://www.azgfd.gov/outdoor_recreation/wildlife_area_robbins.shtml

After our spot was a bust we did go to this and the G&F guys told me that it was one of there worst years also...Said something about the flight patterns were messed up...I might do this again though

Looks to me like it will be a bountiful dove season. Here around the house I'm seeing a big increase in numbers. Went horseback riding not too far out of town this week and couldn't get over how many doves were out in the desert. It should be a good year! Lots and lots of White Wings here in South Gilbert/Queen Creek - not as many WW out in the desert though.

Last year was a bust for me too... Shot maybe 10 total during the September season and 4 during the late hunts. This year is gonna be awesome!

I was just reviewing the dove regs and found out my old honey hole is now closed. It was a super busy spot, but it always held a lot of birds. The county Island that is west of the 202 and south of the Mesa Gateway freeway is now closed to hunting. There were some changes for Maricopa and Tucson. Make sure you guys review the regs. They were ammended Aug 3rd.

Hopefully my other spots will have a lot of birds.

Good Luck everyone!

Adam

35A, 34B, and 30B are wide open and green as far as the eye can see... It's gonna work good this season!!!

With the cooler weather and forecasted rain this weekend I suspect the White Wings will start heading south in greater numbers, as is usually the case it seems every year.

/>I was just reviewing the dove regs and found out my old honey hole is now closed. It was a super busy spot, but it always held a lot of birds. The county Island that is west of the 202 and south of the Mesa Gateway freeway is now closed to hunting. There were some changes for Maricopa and Tucson. Make sure you guys review the regs. They were ammended Aug 3rd.

**Whats new right! as i was glassing for pig in January every area i went to had bright new shiny "preserve" signs or parks and recs signs... hope the pigs chase all the yuppy hikers away! as for dove well cops rode me all last year cuz they dont even know the laws that were hammered out between pd & game cops.. i had to make them all copies and deliver to them. 1 was real cool said i knew better than him but the other was looking at old stop at noon rule and trying to say i was in violation.. puttttttttzzzz

Thunder-lightning-rain! Smells like dove season outside this morning!! skeeters are getting excited also! be sure to buy your hip stamp and bugger spray! IM SO EXCITED AND I CAN'T EVEN SHOULDER A SHOTGUN!!! 0_o

• Like 1