Scooter

Situational Awareness... Feeling like a Jackwagon.

Rifleman, can I ask you politely to please stop trolling my post? I think we've all had our fun...

• Like 3

Just because its legal dosn't mean its moraly right.Just my opinon.I don't blame people for shooting them when their not prime.I just wont do it myself.I kind of blame G+F for not pushing back the season till NOVEMBER when trapping season opens.

• Like 1

Wow this was entertaining!

Still not quite to the level of arguments that were had over long range hunting but it has potential...

• Like 1

New topic: Long range early season fur hunting!!

• Like 3

Shhh dont tell anyone! Before you know it everyone will be doubling down on their immoral hunting activities.

Very entertaining lol. Antmo23 you where spot one. Just thought I'd let you know

HAHAHA! Was I really?!?!? That's awesome!

Just because its legal doesn't mean its morally right.

+1 to that comment.

It's the responsibility of any individual who understand the worth of fur to attempt to educate those who do not. Whether or not they listen is their own business.

General acceptance of moral grandstanding all depends on the topic at hand. If I made a post about shooting a mule deer with an under-calibered rifle I'd get chewed out by the masses on this forum, but someone who wastes a natural resource like fur just for the thrill of the kill is given a free pass all because 'it's legal'.

I kind of blame G+F for not pushing back the season till NOVEMBER when trapping season opens.

Very short-sighted comment. There are parts of the state of Arizona that have fantastic prime fur in November. Talk to the 20 individuals who get chosen to obtain a $250 license up on the Navajo each year. They start early and due to elevation often get snowed out by Mid-December. Bobcats from the Navajo Reservation are the nicest bobcats in the state and fetch the highest prices. I trap the lower deserts and obviously November is too soon.

As a trapper who long lines you should never advocate the AZ G&F to restrict trapping in any way, shape or form. Once it is taken away chances of us getting it back are almost nonexistent. Shortening the season or putting a quota on fur has been tossed around my the powers that be. Don't jinx those of us that depends on fur.

When I kill a fox tomorrow I will make sure I post it here!!!!! Boom!! snap shot. Enjoy the outdoors.

Often the emptiest cans make the loudest rattle. My money is on the fox. I don't think you can pick the day beforehand 2 times in a row and shoot a fox.

hyperwrx,I think you missed my point,I wasnt talking about shortening the trapping season.The point I was trying to make was you should not be able to shoot them in the summer months.Thats just my opinion.To each his own.Bye the way I am also a trapper and I dont want to see our season shortened.

• Like 1

I agree and my apology if I misinterpreted your initial post.

Shooting puppies during the summer months is no accomplishment I'd brag about to anyone. That's like walking up and bragging about how great a shot you are shooting fish in a barrel. The rest of the guys sitting around are just looking at you screwy for making a fuss about it. Walk amongst the same experienced crowd and having shot a nice healthy adult May coyote with a shotgun from 25 steps and you might get a few atta' boys and pats on the back.

• Like 2

The young hunters growing up with this August fur bearer season are not being led by a very good example.... We know 99% of these August "harvests" are never put to use so why are we teachin the shorties to kill for the sake of killing! Can't be raisin our pups poorly!

This rule change was put into place during Mr Napolitanos rein of corruption .... Next AZGFD meeting I attend I will bring this topic up and request a rule change or at least an explaination of why it was moved to August!

• Like 1

Just because its legal doesn't mean its morally right.

+1 to that comment.

It's the responsibility of any individual who understand the worth of fur to attempt to educate those who do not. Whether or not they listen is their own business.

General acceptance of moral grandstanding all depends on the topic at hand. If I made a post about shooting a mule deer with an under-calibered rifle I'd get chewed out by the masses on this forum, but someone who wastes a natural resource like fur just for the thrill of the kill is given a free pass all because 'it's legal'.

I'm not interested in the monetary value of the fur- I thought I made that very clear. I am not just "killing animals" for any type of thrill (although calling and shooting predators is pretty exciting) I wasn't looking for advice when I originally posted this, nor did I ever ask anyone what they thought about people who harvest Furbearers in what is considered "not prime" seasons. If we're going forward with opinions here- I think it much more "moral" and sporting to harvest animals that are free running and not attached to a leg-trap, snare or confined in a cage trap of some sort... Trappers seem to be the most bent-out-of-shape about the AZGFD August 1st Predator/Furbearer opening. Don't you go thinking for one minute that what you do to these animals is any more "moral" or "right" than harvesting one in an early season. You use bait, catch an animal in a trap, and it dies tethered to the trap or you dispatch it when it has no chance of getting away. From the time the animal is first caught in the trap to the time it dies, it suffers greatly. Doesn't bother me one bit. I think trapping is awesome and traditional. If I had the cash and the time I'd be a trapper too. If that's what you do, and it's legal, have a great time in the outdoors doing it! That's your thing and I am not somebody who will criticize your methods. So don't criticize mine. If I want a summer fox to skin out and have for my own trophy room- I certainly don't consider that a waste of an animal at all. The fur is being used and that's the bottom line. The funny thing is... I didn't even shoot any foxes and you "prime fur" guys are all up in arms over the thought of it.

...and what exactly is an under-calibered rifle for mule deer??? Dead is dead- no matter how big of a hole it took to kill it.

• Like 6