Sign in to follow this  
MULEPACKHUNTER

GREAT SCOUTING TRIP

Headed up top with the mules and had some close encounters. Hard to photo while in the saddle and hold a pack string but heres one of 20 Turkeys in the area. Lots of goblets.

post-10379-0-98156400-1376334099_thumb.jpg

post-10379-0-07879900-1376334177_thumb.jpg

Now for the elk pics

post-10379-0-85793100-1376334196_thumb.jpgpost-10379-0-85706600-1376334229_thumb.jpgpost-10379-0-96165600-1376334240_thumb.jpg

This was a big guy and I was still mounted. He moved off and I didnt get a good shot of his antlers but he was 300 plus easy.

post-10379-0-05247100-1376334251_thumb.jpg

This guy posed a bit as I waited to get the big bull on film. What do you think on the score for him? 240 maybe?

post-10379-0-59479100-1376334342_thumb.jpgpost-10379-0-59149300-1376334405_thumb.jpgpost-10379-0-90310300-1376334409_thumb.jpg

There was one great moment not on film, I had a pack mule and then my wife with me and we rode into the middle of about 50 or more cows and calves and I am still getting chills now. We got right on top of them and then the forest erupted with calls and bodies in all directions. Amazing. For 10 minutes they were all around us talking back and forth so we backed out and then my wife says, why didnt you take pictures? OUCH, I was in shock still, I have never seen something like that. The mules did great and stood still as if they knew we were sneaking or something. LOL

• Like 3

Looks like you had a great trip. Sure is green where you were. I'll be up this weekend. Can't wait. Thanks for sharing.

thanks for the photos,Nice ... returned recently from scouting unit 1 elk hunt and for sure the cow/calves are very vocal this time of year.Good Luck this Fall

Nice pics thanks for sharing, that isn't really a bull that one would score but still a neat experience.

I understand on the score but since I am new to this I was figuring it for comparison. So if its was archery would you shoot that bull? I hope I would pass but I like the saying don't pass something the first day you would shoot on the last day.

I understand on the score but since I am new to this I was figuring it for comparison. So if its was archery would you shoot that bull? I hope I would pass but I like the saying don't pass something the first day you would shoot on the last day.

if it makes you happy then shoot that tastey thing. might make you real proud of yourself. my first bull was a spike on a late rifle hunt. with an archery tag though, id just eat the tag if that was the biggest one i saw personally. the kill isnt everything, its all about the hunt.

• Like 1

i would shoot that bull on a late archery hunt. That being said he is too small to score. Probably not even 200"...closer to 160". I would shoot a spike on a late archery elk hunt.

Nice pics MPH... You getting into a herd of elk reminds me how a few years ago on an archery hunt me and my bro rode out into a big meadow, got half way across it when 2 big 350 class bulls came running out of the timber screaming and running right to us. We also had a little mule tagging along with us and the bulls must have thought he was a cow ...lol... it was unreal . Me and my bro where trying to get into some cover with the horses, the little mule got to running away from the bulls , the bulls were bugling and going crazy until they saw me jump off my horse to try to get a shot then they must have realized our horses and the mule weren't elk.

Yea, some guy I work with talked me into getting a couple " lamas".I owe him a kick to the nuts! Seriously though, I am thinking about trading them for a whole pack of goats if you know of any for sale;).