Sign in to follow this  
kingbeer

new to bow hunting!

I am new to bow hunting and need to get set up with clothes! I live in the greater phoenix area. I have looked at cabelas and sportsmans warehouse and thing are just to much money! anyone know a better place to go but still get good quality? I know it is going to cost money just don't want to spend 200+ for a shirt and pants!

thanks for the info.

Go to the Army surplus store for pants. Or you could try Wal-Mart. I usually just wear a pair of brown Carhart dungarees.

This is the time of year where you will see places like Bass Pro and Cabela's offer some pretty good deals on camo clothing. Keep on eye on the ads on their websites. Bass Pro had a buy a jacket get the pants free deal but I think it ended yesterday. Some Walmarts will also have some decent camo stuff at pretty reasonable prices. Just don't get sucked into believing you need fancy name brand stuff like Under Armour. Name brands might serve you well in a night club, but the bucks and bulls don't care. The scent eliminating clothing can also be pretty pricey and IMO not worth the money. If you don't play the wind right, the most expensive scent eliminating clothing in the world won't help you.

• Like 4

This is the time of year where you will see places like Bass Pro and Cabela's offer some pretty good deals on camo clothing. Keep on eye on the ads on their websites. Bass Pro had a buy a jacket get the pants free deal but I think it ended yesterday. Some Walmarts will also have some decent camo stuff at pretty reasonable prices. Just don't get sucked into believing you need fancy name brand stuff like Under Armour. The scent eliminating clothing can also be pretty pricey and IMO not worth the money. If you don't play the wind right, the most expensive scent eliminating clothing in the world won't help you.

+1! Yeah, I used to shop the outlet store on BPS.com, and the bargain cave at cabelas. It kept me in camo for cheap. The advantage max 1 pattern works pretty good everywhere in Az.a

Goodwill....you'd be surprised what you can find there. That's where I have got be majority of hunting clothes for my family especially the kids.

In my opinion, boots & clothes are the most important part of a hunting system, more so than your bow & even optics. If you don't stay warm & dry, you won't stay in the field, & most people don't kill much back at camp sitting by the fire trying to wam up.

That having been said, you can find great socks & base layers by shopping for mountaineering & backpacking gear online. I've always had a problem w/ cold feet, so last winter I picked up 2 pairs of -40 wool socks on Amazon for less than $20 (included shipping). there is a ton of stuff, both new & used, available on Ebay & Amazon for bargain prices compared to Cabelas or Bass Pro. Go to the big stores if you like to touch, feel & try on the products until you determine what you like, than go home & look for it online before you spend the money at the store. You can get a discount price, avoid paying 10% sales tax & also often get free shipping.

As for camos, I'm a fan of Sitka gear. It's expensive, buy I've had my same set of sitka camo for more than 5 years. Good gear can last a very long time.

• Like 1

/>In my opinion, boots & clothes are the most important part of a hunting system, more so than your bow & even optics. If you don't stay warm & dry, you won't stay in the field, & most people don't kill much back at camp sitting by the fire trying to wam up.

That having been said, you can find great socks & base layers by shopping for mountaineering & backpacking gear online. I've always had a problem w/ cold feet, so last winter I picked up 2 pairs of -40 wool socks on Amazon for less than $20 (included shipping). there is a ton of stuff, both new & used, available on Ebay & Amazon for bargain prices compared to Cabelas or Bass Pro. Go to the big stores if you like to touch, feel & try on the products until you determine what you like, than go home & look for it online before you spend the money at the store. You can get a discount price, avoid paying 10% sales tax & also often get free shipping.

As for camos, I'm a fan of Sitka gear. It's expensive, buy I've had my same set of sitka camo for more than 5 years. Good gear can last a very long time.

+1 on Sitka gear. I don't yet own any, but I have heard and seen great things about it. Of the higher end/higher priced clothing, it is probably the only I would consider buying.

My primary hunting attire for early season is a pair of camo shorts I got at ross for 19 bucks, a brown haynes t-shirt for five and a pair of running shoes. Its not a fashion show just get out and hunt. I use the running shoes because they are two pounds lighter than hunting boots and ten times quieter. Last year I spot and stalked and took a 95" buck wearing a. collared green golf shirt and levy's (after work) and the last day of my brother's antelope hunt after watching him make several wrong turns,I took the lead getting him into range for three shots on the lead buck of a herd of thirty antelope wearing a black rain jacket, levy's, and a brown golf shirt. Just remember the fashion show is secondary, so wear what you want. have fun and good luck.

Bass Pro had some of their Redhead house brand camo for $15 either pants or shirts when I was in there last week.

The Walmart at 83rd ave and Union hills has a nice selection of reasonable camo.

i went to the walmart at 19th ave a bell and found some stuff there but wow they where tore up!! meaning that it was empty but i guess that is what you get when you go right before a hunting season starts!! i am not going until next yr so i have some time but want to start looking for some stuff

thank you all for this information. it was all very helpful. i will have to make sure to stop and look at all the goodwill's and maybe some big 5's. just have to try and make it out to bass pro never been there. being that i am on the west valley it is a nice long drive in this heat to go.

thanks again all

/>

In my opinion, boots & clothes are the most important part of a hunting system, more so than your bow & even optics. If you don't stay warm & dry, you won't stay in the field, & most people don't kill much back at camp sitting by the fire trying to wam up.

+1 on Sitka gear. I don't yet own any, but I have heard and seen great things about it. Of the higher end/higher priced clothing, it is probably the only I would consider buying.

If I were you, I'd look at Kuiu.com. Far, FAR superior product. The sitkas are comfy, but if you're in cat claw country, they will get shredded quick, fast, and in a hurry! I wear my kuiu attack pants everywhere i wore the sitkas and i dont have any rips or pulls. Plus, they are the most comfortable pants I own(besides my terrycloth pj bottoms ;) ). Kuiu's are lighter and stronger than sitka (no elastic/ lycra) and I really like the camo pattern (and cheaper by an average of $20). I'm in the process of replacing all of my hunting gear with Kuiu, even my hunt pack/frame. Take a look before you decide, youll be happy you did!

/>

If I were you, I'd look at Kuiu.com. Far, FAR superior product. The sitkas are comfy, but if you're in cat claw country, they will get shredded quick, fast, and in a hurry! I wear my kuiu attack pants everywhere i wore the sitkas and i dont have any rips or pulls. Plus, they are the most comfortable pants I own(besides my terrycloth pj bottoms ;) ). Kuiu's are lighter and stronger than sitka (no elastic/ lycra) and I really like the camo pattern (and cheaper by an average of $20). I'm in the process of replacing all of my hunting gear with Kuiu, even my hunt pack/frame. Take a look before you decide, youll be happy you did!

I WILL have to check this out. again i want to find something to start that is going to be good but at the same time i dont want to spend along of money. i will do that in time and when i can.

thanks for the info

In the early season the Russell APX L1 or L2 lightweight gear is pretty nice. I've been using it on the 3D range and scouting this year and I'm very impressed that it has kept me relatively cool.