Danny

Another noob with questions

Not much difference unless you spend big time on an outdoorsman. Just make sure the legs moved independently and that you realize you might end up dragging it around in your pack for a few miles. The ones with the legs bound together will not work well on uneven terrain. Check this site there are some solid choices in the store.

• Like 1

I don't have a tripod. Any differences between the sporting goods ones vs photo ones? I'll take any recommendations for a decent one.

Im about to put a tripod up for sale, pm me if your interested and I can give you some more info about it.

This will give you some places to start scouting. The further away from the road you can get the better but the dedicated hunters will probably go two miles or more.

http://www.azgfd.gov/h_f/hunting_units_21.shtml

This a good entry level tripod.

http://www.opticsplanet.com/manfrotto-compact-5-section-aluminum-camera-tripod-w-3-way-photo-video-head.html?gclid=CPLk3fSZjbkCFeqDQgoduBkAlA&ef_id=UgwCNgAAAIG2wskm:20130820234311:s

Good Luck and Welcome to the site.

PS. Don't forget to take your kids out with you scouting.

Danny,

I would start with this book http://store.coueswhitetail.com/hunting-books/.

It will give you some key points and the minimum equipment you need to have to increase your "chances -opportunities ".

Lol- signed after glassing lessons-7 years ago- he also teaches glassing lessons

You must have the best optics you can afford.

Google , " gutless field dressing" . That will give you an idea and how to DVDs are Avail!

Never too early to start scouting. Drive some roads. Get there early and learn to glass.

Good luck

Az

Great book. I ordered an autographed copy also, some years back.

• Like 1

I don't have a tripod. Any differences between the sporting goods ones vs photo ones? I'll take any recommendations for a decent one.

I picked up a Vanguard Espod at Sportsmans's Wearhouse for $70. It works great, but ill prolly bite the bullet for a carbon fiber, high-dollar tripod after this season. I want to save weight so I can go farther up the mountains.

The best way to learn how to find Coues is to go outside and find Coues. Literally I have learned more about these gray ghosts by following them than anybody could ever tell me. Get Good optics and a tripod, have a good back and legs to fill good boots, and figure out the wind direction... That's my simple advice. Can't go wrong with that combo.

The best way to learn how to find Coues is to go outside and find Coues. Literally I have learned more about these gray ghosts by following them than anybody could ever tell me. Get Good optics and a tripod, have a good back and legs to fill good boots, and figure out the wind direction... That's my simple advice. Can't go wrong with that combo.

+1! And when you find a doe or small buck, and they keep looking in a certain direction, follow their gaze! I dont know how many times ive found other deer but doing that. Heck, one time a lil buck I was watching went up and poked another little buck that was bedded. I would've NEVER found that bedded buck without an assist.

sell all your hunting gear now before its too late :D :D :D
Oh its too late now. I'm determined to get something to mount on the wall, can't quit now.
  • Like 1

I recently downsized to a "packable" tripod. Picked up a Slik Sprint (?) at Archery Headquarters for $109. I've used it in the field a couple times....I love it! It weighs just over 2 lbs. You can stand to glass with it fully extended, if no wind. I plan to use it mostly sitting on the ground or short stool. They also have a larger carbon fiber one for around $240. I think it is around 2.5 lbs without the head.

Welcome to Coues Hunting. You are welcome to buy the recommended books, but I really don't think you need to. One thing I have learned about AZ hunters... they love to help each other. They may not tell you their secret hunting grounds, but they don't mind sharing tips and techniques. There is a tremendous amount of hunting experience within this forum. Just ask your questions. You will most likely receive far more information than what you can get from any book. With that said, here's my two cents worth......

I agree with getting you a tripod for your binos.... Coues deer are difficult enough to detect. Sometimes, the only thing you pick up while glassing for them is a twitch of an ear/tail or turn of head/antlers. If your binos are shaking, you could miss this. As for your binos.... Personally, I can emphasis the importance of good optics. Over the years, I have gone from the inexpensive junk at Wal-Mart, up through my own set of Vortex Kibabs to my Swarovski 10x42 & 15x/56s... these are super expensive, but for hunting Coues, they are invaluable. I am not saying to spend a small fortune on glass. Get the best glass you can afford. I have gone to our sportsman’s center after a day of glassing to hear guys who were near me saying they didn't see anything all day. I look at the $50 dollar pair of Wal-Mart specials (optics) they have around their necks and think, should I tell them that I saw over 25 deer all around the area that they were hunting? Last year, I actually watched a guy for over any hour glass with a beautiful 4x5 100 yards below him. He eventually gave up, got on his quad and left. I took the buck 20 minutes later. Unless you’re still hunting you will need to glass.

Coues live at varying altitudes. If you are hunting near a mountain range, a lot of Coues have a tendency to spend their evenings and nights grazing the flats and at first light they start making their ways back to the safety of the slopes. They feed up the slopes towards the ocotillo lines, bed down for a couple of hours, standing to stretch every so often and then around 1600, maybe earlier, maybe a little later, they start slowly feeding their ways back towards the flats. The bigger smarter bucks tend not to move so much. These sly devils will find a niche area with good access to water and food and stay still during the day and become mostly nocturnal... at least until the rut. Then like all WT, they go stupid. Rut happens in late Dec or early jan, so your October hunt will miss the rut.

There are some Coues that stay exclusively in the rolling hills or flats all day/night. There are also some that stay exclusively on the upper slopes and rarely come down into the flats. I like this... It allows you to hunt them your own ways. I know some guys who head to the top of the ridges and they don't come down until dark... I see the lights of their quads coming down in the evening. Some guys hunt the rivers and stream beds. They find water and know that soon or later the deer are going to get thirsty. Personally, I like to hunt the transitioning bucks. I like trying to catch the sneaky devils as they head back to the hills. The bigger smart bucks that do this start their transition before the crack of dawn.... some are already at the base of the slopes at dawn. That is where the Swarovski’s come in handy.... they collect enough light that you can catch them moving early.

As for your gun and optics..... I good friend of mine told me years ago... zero your rifle at 300-350 yards. Know your ballistics. You may get shots under 200 yards and most likely will get shots out to 500 yards, but most shots will be pretty close to that zero range. His advice had always served me well. I have killed Coues at 165, 275, 300, 350 and missed a 110+ inch buck at 435 yards.

Good luck and please ask more questions.

• Like 1

Based on everyone's suggestions it sounds like I definitely need a tripod. Looking at my binoculars it looks like it would need some type of adapter. I don't see one that came with it. I assume these are sold seperately, or do the shooting trips come with it ? Also can the tripods double as a shooting rest for the long shots ?

Danny,

If you go to the optic shop in Cabelas, they can point you to the right tripod adapter.... they are not that expensive. Less than $50. As for shooting rest. There are several styles that work will and all are designed to fit standard tripods. You just have to get an extra tripod plate (the part that connects to the bottom of your camera or bino adapter. Check out http://www.triclawps.com/ This little rest is fantstic. easily adapts to you rifle and with an extra adapter place, you can switch between your binos and rifle within seconds. Watch the video... it really is that easy. I have used them for years.

Welcome to Coues Hunting. You are welcome to buy the recommended books, but I really don't think you need to. One thing I have learned about AZ hunters... they love to help each other. They may not tell you their secret hunting grounds, but they don't mind sharing tips and techniques. There is a tremendous amount of hunting experience within this forum. Just ask your questions. You will most likely receive far more information than what you can get from any book.

Thanks for the great tips. As far as the book, I definitely need it. If nothing else it will help pacify my OCD on hunting. I will most likely be searching the web and this forumn for more info every day till my hunt. I would hate to miss out on a deer because i didnt know something or made a mistake. Reading the book every now and then will help.

Based on everyone's suggestions it sounds like I definitely need a tripod. Looking at my binoculars it looks like it would need some type of adapter. I don't see one that came with it. I assume these are sold seperately, or do the shooting trips come with it ? Also can the tripods double as a shooting rest for the long shots ?
Sportsmans wear house has the Vortex adapters for your nocs. I try to shoot prone from my bi-pod whenever possible, but sometimes I have to use my tripod as a rest. It'll work as is, but you can also buy a rifle rest adapter for your tripod. Triclawps is a popular one. I use a foam and tape covered U-shaped bracket that my Pops and I Jerry-rigged together. It fits on my stock and locks in to the quick change tripod plate.