Sign in to follow this  
deercrazy

Opinions on Craigslist problem

So a few weeks ago I posted an item for sale on Craigslist. An out of state buyer contacted me with questions and requested that I send him a Paypal invoice so he could put down a deposit for me to hold the item. We agreed on a price of $400 dollars, so I invoiced him for $40, 10% of the agreed price, and I stated in the invoice that if he came to my house, and did not buy the item, that I would refund his money in full. I also stated that if he was a no call - no show, after 60 days, I would keep the deposit.

He assured me that he was coming to phoenix the following weekend because he was also purchasing another item from someone else in the valley. So the first weekend passed without a call, text, or email. So last Thursday I text him, and his response was that his work schedule changed, and he would probably be here this weekend. I text him twice yesterday, no response, and emailed him this morning with no response. I have not called him.

My position, and I have stated this in text and email, is that I can't keep every weekend open for him to show up at the last minute without letting me know what's going on. I am unhappy that I haven't heard from him at all.

Now the question I am looking for help with. Do I blow up his phone with texts and calls? keep the emails rolling? Or sit back and relax and take his deposit.

I have not reposted the item on Craigslist because of our agreement, but I am not getting the money I need to fund another project that is on hold.

Thanks for your response, Dave

This is a really simple question IMO. Your terms were easy to understand and the deposit was "fair". I would re-list the item. It's not responsibility to "blow up his phone."

I'm curious to why you put 60 days?

• Like 1

I think if your going to use craigslist, you have to use a hard line approach. Tons of low ballers and flakes. I recently sold tires/wheels on there and was amazed at the requests to deliver or meet for the sale and on top of that, the low ball offers when my price was very reasonable.

I put 60 days because they guy asked all the right questions, and since it was his idea to put down a deposit, I figured it was a sure sale. I am learning lessons still every day. And I agree that I was soft on this sale. I consider myself a very trusting and trustworthy person, and I take someone's word as I give my word. It does burn me sometimes.

I don't use Craigslist anymore to sell anything because of all the scammers on there. One time, a person with horrible spelling and grammar, allegedly studying to be a marine biologist wanted my full name, phone number, email address, and mailing address so he could cut me a check to buy the item for his traveling father-in-law who was leaving for Russia in a month... It was creative, I'll give them credit for that.

In your case I would just contact the buyer, tell them you've re-listed the item, and if they still want it held- they need at least another deposit or to be paid in full and picked up.

• Like 1

If it is inside the 60 days then I would refund his money, tell him the deal is off and relist.

OR wait until after the 60, keep his deposit and relist.

If you are in need of $$, I would go with #1.

• Like 1

Deer crazy - don't get burned protect yourself. Relist it and don't think another thing of it.

This is a classic craiglister. Male, probably in his 20's. Generally prefers communication through texting. Calling and following through is very rare like the elusive Chupacabra. As Gotcoues has stated, probably expects it to be delivered. Then there is the classic Craiglist money exchange when they arrive for a 20.00 item, " Got change for a 100.00"?

I had one just yesterday on Ebay. Says can you close the auction? I say when will you pick it up ( I wasn't supposed to do this on ebay) he says today, then tomorrow. Then he says can I come to him. I say forget it.

Deer Crazy you sound like the same generation as I do. You say what you are going to do and "try" to give people the benefit of the doubt. After I sat in a Circle K parking lot for an hour 1 night in July , NEVER AGAIN. Guess what? No show ( imagine that )???

Generation WTF is out there. Best of luck my friend.

Az

• Like 2

I stopped selling on Craigslist and started using Backpage! For some reason I have had much better luck using Backpage. I try to be very easy going, but at times I have had to play hard ball. When I post something for sale I'm assuming I will get low ball offers. It's just part of the game. I don't let them bother me. They are trying to get the best deal and so am I. I do NOT make a deal unless I talk them on the phone. The text only scares me!!! Arizonashooting forum is another great place to sell items. You have to have 10 post's before you can post something, but that doesn't take long.

Adam

He probably jacked someones paypal account and wanted to test it out. He got the $40 payment to go through to you, so he is now buying rolex and caviar and ordering in house "massages" from some girl named Candy.

I would relist and move on. Craigslist is full of flakes and scammers. I may get 10 responses for an add, and maybe 1 person show up. I always state in my add that I will not deliver. I also hold all cash bills up to the light to make sure they are not fake, as some of the Craiglisters have been known to try and pass off counterfeit money.

All in all, I have had pretty good dealings with the people that actually show up, as I only deal face to face transaction. There are always the scammers that will try and pull a fast one, but they are easy to spot....and ignore.

Refund the $ and relist. Don't wait on anybody like that. Next listing be sure to spell out your criteria exactly the way YOU want the transaction to go down. For that much $ I don't have buyers come to my home nor will I go to theirs. I meet in a public place, armed, with my wife or friend there with me. There's some crazy a$$ people out there, and for higher dollar items they'll club you and run off with your stuff. Protect yourself from the B/S.

Relist it. Hopefully you didn't give him your home address, and he won't just show up at your house.