Sign in to follow this  
brian390

Opening weekend Flagstaff area

If you think unit 9 has a lot of deer you're a fool. I've been up there since 2000 every year many times and this is about the worst I've seen it. I've been to unit 9 four times this summer, and every January since it has opened during the rut. They didn't get hit hard like Flagstaff did from the monsoons. A lot of the tanks that usually have water are dry, so your moisture theory is out. If you think that you got to go up there six times or more and then see some deer and think that it is so great, something is wrong you, the deer, or both. I'm sure you hunt a better area since you can go six times to it and not see a deer. The game warden we talked to up there even said there are really no deer. We did see a total of 5 bucks while we were there with two of the biggest being in the 150's, but we were lucky. The deer don't move that much from year to year either.

of course nine doesn't have deer like other units,I just don't think there are any less then the last 5 or 6 years.but last fall and winter I saw more deer in nine then in the last 10 years.2 years ago on a three mile stretch of road I know of 8 bucks killed on the rifle hunt.that wasn't to good for the deer in that area.you hunted 3 or four days in 7,8 and unit nine that doesn't seem like that is much time to prove there are know deer there,also with the invention of the side by side the animals don't wait around much anymore so we don't see as many animals getting to the area,we hunt so many people think theres not as many elk or Deer.in many units.

We hunted 9 and saw 2 bucks Saturday and 2 bucks on Sunday. Them being all spikes and forket horns! Missed a turkey to. We also had a game camera stolen. Someone had 3 cameras up and i just put mine up for the night and it was stolen at like 430 am. Well I hope who ever stoled it, want to say your a piece of S..t! I hope you get caught one day and I hope its me that catches you because I will beat your.......! If anyone is up in

9 this weekend I'm in a red and white bronco stop and say hi!

I was in unit 10 for 6 days seen over 30 bucks a lot of nice ones got busted on a nice 3x and missed a shot on a really nice forkey also hunted 8 and seen 6 bucks running together 4 of them were huge but could not get a shot also seen a lion but could not get a shot man I seem a lot of game untile we got a huge storm good luck to every one that is still hunting I'm going to be hunting 21 for the rest of the season

I was in unit 10 for 6 days seen over 30 bucks a lot of nice ones got busted on a nice 3x and missed a shot on a really nice forkey also hunted 8 and seen 6 bucks running together 4 of them were huge but could not get a shot also seen a lion but could not get a shot man I seem a lot of game untile we got a huge storm good luck to every one that is still hunting I'm going to be hunting 21 for the rest of the season

That is good that you ran into some nice bucks. The biggest one I saw this weekend was a 165-170. You did quite well.

Just bought some property and a house in Unit 9 and been going up on weekends to work on it. Been seeing a lot of does and of course elk but not much for bucks. Seen a few bucks in 7 and a lot of antelope.

If you were in 9 this weekend, welcome flash flooding. It was amazing to see the downpour and water flowing everywhere. Helped two guys get unstuck as it was a sink hole for full size trucks!

As for deer, I have been there 18 days since June very few deer seen.

I was up in 5BS from Saturday evening until Monday night scouting some elk. Jumped a really nice 4x4 midday Sunday. This is the best buck I've seen in that unit, but the sample size is four. Saw a kid headed home on the 17 just south of flag with a wide 4x4 in the back of his pickup. Makes me want to pick up a bow.

Are you guys sure the reason for seeing little deer is "the elk are taking over". From my perspective the last 20 years "the predators have taken over".......and I'm referring to both deer and elk herd declines!

I was up in the northern portion of 7 2 weeks ago and had quite a few coyotes that I saw, and many more that I heard.

/>Are you guys sure the reason for seeing little deer is "the elk are taking over". From my perspective the last 20 years "the predators have taken over".......and I'm referring to both deer and elk herd declines!

I think it is a combination of these two things along with the forests being too thick. I always see more deer in woods that have been thinned with more understory

I was up in 7 for five days. I had my family up with me so I did not hunt REALLY hard, but was out for most of the day every day. I saw a few bucks, maybe 7 over the 5 days. Mostly small forkies, but saw two that I pursued for 2+ hours until they disappeared. Never got closer 90 yards, and they were always just feeding along. One as a 1x2, but pretty wide for a 1x2.

DSC_0316_zps4a16ef26.jpg

Sorry, not the best photos.

DSC_0319_zpsc66ebb19.jpg

DSC_0321_zps787f7ad2.jpg

He was bedded with this guy. Decent 3x3 with eye guards.

DSC_0320_zpsc6c4ba78.jpg

DSC_0323_zpse5fc15c4.jpg