TATAat27

Food for thought

I'm going to be backpacking for couple days of my hunt and was wondering what kind of food you all normally take. What has worked best/worst for you. Thx for your input

Rich

All you need is couple bags of jerky, some cans of cambles soup,deviled meat, veanna sausagues, and crakers. those always work, and or course lots of water.

I used to try and bring steak, or bacon and eggs, but after a few trips I dropped all that stuff and now all I ever bring is Instant oatmeal packs for breakfast, Summersausage and crackers for lunch, and Ramen for dinner (sometimes I will throw in a potato that I can cook in the fire). And then I also have snack stuff like granola bars and poptarts.

granola for breakfast jerky or summer sausage for lunch and MRE for dinner . jerky is very good thing to have in youre pack because it last so long and takes up very little space

Guest Ernesto C

Take all you can that has energy (calories) on it.Peanut butter,bread,cookies,crackers,cheese,raisings,candy bars etc etc. Dont worry about gaining weigth. All that hiking and going up and down hill,chasing the grey ghost will keep you busy that you will forget to eat;and whenever you remember to eat those calories will not show up on your belly.

Ah!! but in case of an emergency if you run out of food..........peyote works good. :P

Take all you can that has energy (calories) on it.Peanut butter,bread,cookies,crackers,cheese,raisings,candy bars etc etc. Dont worry about gaining weigth. All that hiking and going up and down hill,chasing the grey ghost will keep you busy that you will forget to eat;and whenever you remember to eat those calories will not show up on your belly.

Ah!! but in case of an emergency if you run out of food..........peyote works good. :P

antlers every where holy crap im trippin :lol: :lol:

How about those dehydrated food packs, are they any good?

The Mountain House Dehydrated food packs are very tasty and easy to fix. Pour in boiling water into the package, wait a few minutes, and eat. All you get dirty is the fork. They cost $5 or 6$, cheaper than fast food, and taste better. Sometimes I'll eat them in my camper, when I'm too tired to do anything else. You can get them at Sportsman's Warehouse or cabelas, or anywhere the web.

CAUTION: eating real backpacking food could turn you into a tree hugger!

Mark

The Mountain House Dehydrated food packs are very tasty and easy to fix. Pour in boiling water into the package, wait a few minutes, and eat. All you get dirty is the fork. They cost $5 or 6$, cheaper than fast food, and taste better. Sometimes I'll eat them in my camper, when I'm too tired to do anything else. You can get them at Sportsman's Warehouse or cabelas, or anywhere the web.

Mark

No tree huggin allowed!

Take high energy stuff. Granola, Trailmix, Jerky and I always like the spagetti o's or raviolli for dinners.

Mark

I've had just about all of the brands sold it seems. Mountain House is by far my favorite. I love the mac & cheese, Beef stroganoff and spaghetti. Easy to make, taste almost as good as a home cooked meal and very filling. Well worth the money spent on them. Just a word of advice... get the serves 2 size if you eat a lot like me. You can get them at almost all the outdoor big box stores and Summit Hut. I hear Walmart up north stocks them too.

Burros, pre-made foil wrapped, prefferably elk green chile or carne with beans and cheese maybe even a few egg and sausage or egg and bacon breakfast burros. Chuck them next to the fire to heat them up, or toast them over coals for a Chimi like burro. Pack lots of TP... :ph34r:

Bret M.

If you haven't tried the MRE's with the heaters, you might be pleasantly surprised. They're kind of like canned food... Chili, Spaghetti, etc. They come with all kinds of goodies like candy bars, gum, crackers etc. to carry around and snack on. They are heavy, but so is water and if you're using freeze dried foods in AZ you're probably going to have to carry enough water for your meals anyway.

I carry one for each day as my "big" meal, and light snack for the rest of the day. At least you're getting one hot meal with minimal effort.

Save your self the money, just pack extra water and when you start getting hungry go kill a big old buck to eat on!!! Nothing like hunger to make you a better hunter!!....lol....j/k. Last time i was in Alaska hunting we lived off freeze dried food and MRE's have a great hunt!!