Sign in to follow this  
deserttacoma84

scopeless...

So I decided to keep this rifle. Remington 700 .308 5r mil-spec. I added the Tac21 chassis and now need a scope. I want to do somethinG along the lines of the vortex viper 6.5-20. Would the viper with mil dot reticle and turrets work for out to 800-1000 yards? Or is the HS or pst more the way to go?

post-5070-0-66266600-1378776096_thumb.jpg

post-5070-0-44304400-1378776116_thumb.jpg

I shoot the viper mildot with turrets and have zero problems touching 1000 with my 6.5x284... idk how much adjustment you would need with your 308 but I have a 20 moa base and can reach 1000 with some adjustment left on the turret

Probably going to need a 20 moa rail or the cheaper route of Burris signature zee rings with inserts to get the 308 to 1000 yards. Your going to need 33-38 moa or there abouts to get to 1000 yards depending on what bullet you will be using.

The volrtex razor will do it without stacking moa on the rail. Way better scope as well and if you want 1500 you can do it. Trust me if your looking for 1000 you will be looking for longer soon enough. Pay ounce cry ounce

You can do both ... reticles are probably quicker, but turrets will get you out farther. Having both is a bonus.

Theres nothing stopping you from having both. I say one or the other because turrets are more accurate. And I'm not fan of busy redicls on long range guns. If your using turrets you want the fines sub tentions you can find and a redicl that clear of cludder. Ballistic redicals have there place but I always say a rifle that will never shot over 500y ballistic redicl. A long range gun turrets.

I hate hold over reticles! Unless you spend big money on a ffp ( first focal plane) scope, their useless unless set at max power. I missed a huge buck on the kiabab a few years back at 300 yards because of them, scope was on 7x not 9x, I kept shooting over his back. I also like to have moa turrets and not caliber specific turrets, I can shoot every different load out of my guns with just a simple ballistics program. I hope this helps :)

• Like 1

I'm going with the new viper hs-t. It's better than the regular viper optically and now has zero stop turret. Check it out looks to be a great scope with some good features.

The Vortex PST 6.5-24x50 is Awesome! Get whatever reticle you like the best. I personally do not like a busy reticle, because I only use the turret for dialing distance. I would prefer just a cross hair, but it's not available. The SFP is under $800 and is a great scope!

I would prefer to have higher magnification myself, but what I don't like is the 50 moa of the hs model vs 75 moa on the hs-t model. But you can always put a 20 moa base on to compensate. It all really depends on the distance you plan on shooting. The viper pst is a pretty nice scope also, I just haven't seen $250 better IMO. But you can step up into a 6-24 model that way.

I'm buying the hs-t for a hunting build, so I'm only looking to shoot out to around 750 yards. The 4-16 will be plenty for those ranges. I have a 2-10 on it right now and shoot 600 yards with no problems.