WildHeritageTaxidermy

Lost Bull Found!!!! Can't beat a Bloodhounds nose!!

Awesome! I believe it's legal to use a dog to track to a dead animal. But I think there is a problem with carrying a weapon while tracking the animal because then you are using the dog to aide in take if you find the animal alive and put a killing shot on it. Did you get any clarification like that from the WM? would be nice to share with everyone

Glad Daisy got the job done!

Would love to hear from G&F on this I have always been under the assumption that dogs we not allowed.

You and the G&F officer: Way to use your head to solve this:

Daisy: Way to use your nose!!!

I'm sure more people would use dogs to track their lost game if they knew someone who had one to use. It would be nice if these dogs were available to the general public for use or rent. If I lost an animal I would definately pay to have someone bring dogs to help track the animal.

Adam

This was my first bull. Hit the off shoulder on a qtr. away shot, no exit hole. Blood ran out within 100 yards and we tracked him another 300 or so yards from last blood but lost the trail. The G&F officer told me opening day in a conversation, he knew of a dog that blood trailed and to give him a call if needed, not thinking I'd need to. After we lost the trail, I remembered our chat and headed for cell service as it was pretty warm and was worried about wasting this animal, which we all know is the worst scenario. And it was Daisy to the rescue! She was awesome, as was the game officer also.

As for the regs on it, dogs can be used to trail a wounded animal but not to chase. Once the animal is found, if not dead, the dog must be pulled back and the hunter proceed on to finish the animal.

Thanks again to Daisy and the G&F officer for all the help!

• Like 3

Guest wdenike

Pretty sure the only stipulation with the use of a dog. Is that the dog must remain on a leash while tracking. And the reason being so the trackers can continuously check for blood, thus making sure it is the same wounded animal they are following. As most dogs are not blood specific trailers. They are normally trailing animal scent,and that can get pretty chaotic with the amount of elk or what ever the target animal is. A long time ago we had a beagle that naturally would stay with the animal that was bleeding. No credit to us, she did it naturally. But was quite handy, and made a few people very happy retrieving animals that other wise would have been lost. My opinion is this should continue be allowed. But ya can't expect a guy to travel all over the state for nothing with the price of fuel these days. But if I know our government ( Fish & Game ) they would expect the poor son of a gun with the dog to have some kind of license, so they wouldn't miss out on a few pennies. I know a guy in Texas that makes a good deal of money trailing wounded trophy White Tail. And the state doesn't get in his pocket. But Texas is head and shoulders above the rest of the country in the job creating business. The rest of the morons should probably learn something from them. But that subject probably needs to be discussed somewhere else.

Take care, Willie

I can tell you from my experience with my Border Collie (another dog with amazing nose) that they can track a "fresh" scent over "older" scents.

My wife watched our dog track my exact path that I walked in our house, during a "hide-and-seek" test. I didn't tell my wife where I would go walk inside the house, but when she described the path the dog took, when she turned her loose to find me, it was exactly the path I took. No deviation at all. And I'm sure, my "older" scent is all over the house.

I'm certainly eager to try my Border Collie on finding an elk! I'm not sure when a "fresh" scent becomes "old" scent?

PS....Congrats on elk, and great story!

I think the best part of this story is the fact that Daisy is a rescue dog twice over. Daisy was adopted by a guy in the Valley from a rescue, and lived a life of leisure (ie couch potato and all you can eat kibbles n bits) when we saw an add for her on Craigslist. He couldn't keep her due to a divorce, so she came to live with us in the mountains. We took her on all of our hikes, as we were training to hike the Grand Canyon with our kids. It wasn't long before she realized she had a nose on her face and how to use it. It was awesome to watch her work out a trail and gave us an education on just how good bloodhounds can trail if given the chance. We are thrilled that Daisy has "come in to her own" so to speak and found a home where she can do what she was bred for.

• Like 1

That hunter better not use another taxidermist!

+1