ultramag

Helping a buddy.

Well a good friend and coworker had an interest in hunting, I have been asking him to put in. and well he did and got drawn, so he bought a bow and practiced a lot he was doing good. We went to the bow hunter happening in July he never missed a target, we shot all courses.

Opening day found us on a ridge before the sun came up waiting for daylight. The bugling was slow we heard a few but not very many. Kinda slow. That afternoon we heard more bugles and had a close call on a small bull but no shot.

Saturday morning we called in a better bull but the wind got us before he could get a shot. We were into elk a little better that morning. Sat night was very slow no elk encounters for us..

Sunday morning before light we could hear elk bugles from camp so we decided to leave from camp, which is always nice. We saw some nice bulls but no shot the elk were going away from us with the wind in their favor. We had a good idea of where they bedded, we backed out and though they would be back early afternoon.

Well about noon we had a heck of a thunderstorm roll though and so much hail it looked like it snowed..post-467-0-31057400-1379991126_thumb.jpg

When we left camp it was still raining but lightly we had a couple of close lightning strikes that made us want to get off the top of the ridge. Lol soon after we heard some bugles coming from the same area that we suspected was the bedding area. So we waited to see which direction the elk were going. Turns out they were heading our direction and bugling. We set up and with a couple of cow calls a bull and cow were coming our way. Javier was about 80yrds in front of us and signaled he could see the elk, when the elk finally came into sight it didn't look like he was going to get a shot. The cow went behing some small pines and we cow called then she came right toward us with the bull following close behind, the bull and cow came directly toward us at 30yrds Javier released the arrow. The cow ran straight toward me I though she was going to run me over so I waved my hands so she would stop, at 3feet away she kicked up rocks and mud that landed on me...

post-467-0-39479800-1379992321_thumb.jpg

post-467-0-13030300-1379992489_thumb.jpg

We had tenderloin steaks for dinner the next day..

post-467-0-90805600-1379992592_thumb.jpg

It was an awesome hunt even though I didn't have the tag. Javier was kinda amazed at how big these animals are, he was overwhelmed at the size of the bull. He is already looking forward to next year. This is the third guy I talked into putting in. They have all been drawn within a year or 2. Something makes new hunters get drawn easier. So far I have been lucky at helping because all 3 have tagged bulls....

post-467-0-75960400-1379993632_thumb.jpg

We made red chili out of the heart. That was a nice treat wraped in a tortilla..

post-467-0-92882400-1379993771_thumb.jpg

We saw a porcupine. I haven't seen many of these guys. First saw him on the ground then he climbed a tree. Looked like he would fall out didn't look like he could climb real well. Cool watching though.

• Like 5

That's a classic story of good clean living at its best! A rookie to hunting and tagging a nice bull with this bow on his first hunt.....Good work.. and a nice write up, congrats to all involved.

Is that a 6x6 with a cheater on the third on the right?

Fantastic!

That's a classic story of good clean living at its best! A rookie to hunting and tagging a nice bull with this bow on his first hunt.....Good work.. and a nice write up, congrats to all involved.

Is that a 6x6 with a cheater on the third on the right?

No cheater.. A clean 6x6

I wish I could get drawn that easy, haha! That is awesome that he got a bull on his first hunt with his bow. Awesome is probably an understatement in fact. Great story and great job!

I'm callin you when I get drawn! Those are great statistics! Nice write up and Awesome Bull. Great job to all.

Nice job! Congrats on a successful hunt for you and Javier!

p.s. That food looks awesome!

If you don't get drawn don't forget about the over the counter tags available. I didn't draw this year either but was still able to fill the freezer with an OTC tag. They are about $20 cheaper too. I think it ran me $114

If you don't get drawn don't forget about the over the counter tags available. I didn't draw this year either but was still able to fill the freezer with an OTC tag. They are about $20 cheaper too. I think it ran me $114

That's def an option. Usually someone I know gets a tag and wants some help it works out good for everyone. You couldn't keep me away from elk country in mid sept. tag or no tag