Sign in to follow this  
srfrost45

Elk down low

Went to go check my trail cam hoping to see some good deer but all I saw was ELK! these guys have been coming down really low and in the last couple of weeks they have been on the move. Some of these pics are a little hard to see but there are some definite decent bucks for this rookie. First trail cam pics I have ever gotten so I am curious to know you thoughts/opinions.

My bad and saying bucks vs bulls. I didn't have one pic of a deer. The elk had definitely taken over this area. About a month ago I saw tons of deer sign with some elk sign but when I pulled these pics I only saw elk sign. Interested to see what happens as the weather cools down.

Not surprised. Coming home one night last year after a quail hunt in Tonto Basin, I almost hit a nice 6x6 bull on SR87, about a mile south of the rest area. Craziest thing I've ever seen! Scared the bajeezus out of me. :)

I guess for those of us that never get drawn we might have a chance if we drive SR87....lol

• Like 1

That is a sight I've never seen before...elk with Mesquite trees. Looks very odd to me.

That one bull is a good bull. If I was you, I'd look into seeing if there are any OTC tags available in that area. I'm guessing G&F don't like them down that low.

That is a sight I've never seen before...elk with Mesquite trees. Looks very odd to me.

That one bull is a good bull. If I was you, I'd look into seeing if there are any OTC tags available in that area. I'm guessing G&F don't like them down that low.

I will have to look into it. Thanks for the idea.

My uncle took a drive this weekend up around Payson and Rye. He saw a guy packing out a bull due west of Rye, and saw a road killed elk by where the 188 splits off the 87.

My uncle took a drive this weekend up around Payson and Rye. He saw a guy packing out a bull due west of Rye, and saw a road killed elk by where the 188 splits off the 87.

we almost hit 1 on friday!

Time to expand the OTC!

new unit... 22 south of RYE and east of Mt ord and 23 west of A+cross rd.

James

I'd buy one of those! I thinks it's just a matter of time, elk would have no problem living in that country.

Has anyone heard of or seen the elk on Four Peaks? I've seen tracks and scat, but never seen them on the hoof...

I have also seen elk sign on 4 peaks ( north of the peaks ) but haven't seen em on the hoof.I was up on mt ord last Saturday trail running and saw some road hunters.Maybee they were hunting elk?