Sign in to follow this  
srfrost45

Elk down low

Get an OTC tag if it's available, no matter what don't tell anyone where these elk are, I am sure you are getting pm's now asking bout these bulls

• Like 2

Get an OTC tag if it's available, no matter what don't tell anyone where these elk are, I am sure you are getting pm's now asking bout these bulls

Talked to a local near where my cameras are and he said he has been seeing them this low for years. Definitely keepin these cards close to the vest.

Not surprised. Coming home one night last year after a quail hunt in Tonto Basin, I almost hit a nice 6x6 bull on SR87, about a mile south of the rest area. Craziest thing I've ever seen! Scared the bajeezus out of me. :)
On the way north on my 2012 Aug deer hunt I saw a cow elk with a calf, same exact location..

Called AZGFD and they said they were aware of the Elk in the area I took pics from but they dont have any plans on issuing any OTC tags there yet. The guy did mention that they will be openning up some portions of unit 21 in the near future.

Have seen elk and bear sign down lower in the mesquite for quite a few years now about 5 miles south of 188/87 junction. Seemed very odd a first but not after hearing all of the talk about them around that area. I would have to believe that they are on Mt. Ord and Four Peaks based on where I have been seeing sign.

Went back to check the cameras again and found the elk are still hittin the water regularly. I also saw some of the deer coming back in so it was nice to see. Enjoy the Pics. BTW I got plenty of pics of other hunters looking around my camera. Just want to say thank you for not messing with it or stealing it. I was worried someone would take my stuff. I have heard of allot of peoples cameras growing legs. Thanks again to all of the fellow huters that respected my stuff as well as the water hole and animals.

That is awesome those hunters left your cameras alone! Awesome guys!! How about more awesome behaviour from other hunters. Those are awesome pics, thanks for sharing.

There are at least 20 elk in on the mount ord complex. The biggest bull ive seen is a high 290's bull. 4 peaks has at least 3 times that number. There was a 400 incher shot up there 3 or 4 years ago. i know a couple places that are very remote that you could see 10 to 20 elk on a common basis. Of course there are much better places to hunt them in 22 south and non of these places will ever be otc.

• Like 1

A ton of people know elk are low. Just ask the 22 south tag holders. I thought I found a honey hole few years ago. Turns out when the elk hunt opened it's sounded like opening day of dove season with really loud shot guns ha.