Sign in to follow this  
Phil Carr

Lost Bull Unit 10

I guess that any animal lost and then found after the season close becomes the property of the AZ Game and Fish Department. From what I now understand you can look all you want for the lost animal after the season, but if found the Game and Fish department needs to be notified. They will investigate. Possibly depending on your proof you may or may not get to keep the rack. The antlers may be taken by Game and Fish and put up for auction.

the "proof" is how big the rack is. if its huge, AZGFD auctions it. if its a raghorn they let you keep it.

We had this exact scenario in my family a couple years ago. My brother hit a bull on the last evening of the hunt. He notified G&F that night of what had happened. They told him to go ahead And go see if he could retrieve the animal the next morning. They also told him not to carry weapons with him, because if it was not dead he did not have the right to kill it at that point. Long story short he found the bull and for both the meat and the horns. A Warden did come by and checked everything out later on. I really think that phone call the night before the close of the season is critical.

Thought I would run it to the top again 3 more trips up there looking with a total of 11 days. No luck, with all of the hunts after mine, I am still hoping someone finds it. My brother was up there again this week. PM me at coues3pt@gmail.com. Last blood was along near 66 about a 1/2 mile west of the tower on the north side of the road.350-370 class bull. Thanks for any help.

The Game and Fish Action sounds like a scam to me. And the law stating G&F gets the game the day after a legal kill just feeds the scam.

So if the day after a legal hunt is over and your packing an animal out you mean G&F can confiscate it and sell it at their action. In Colorado it's taken me two days to hike in and out with an elk. If that elk were taken on the last day of the season in AZ would I be violating the law?

The Game and Fish Action sounds like a scam to me. And the law stating G&F gets the game the day after a legal kill just feeds the scam.

So if the day after a legal hunt is over and your packing an animal out you mean G&F can confiscate it and sell it at their action. In Colorado it's taken me two days to hike in and out with an elk. If that elk were taken on the last day of the season in AZ would I be violating the law?

id hope theyd reason with you. but if not, shoot out. they cant steal your legally killed elk

Your tag is no longer valid after the end of season. Go back the day after and finish it off; illegal taking of wildlife.

Nothing wrong with an animal killed and tagged during season that's being transported afterwords. Some states do have a time limit for transporting game after close of season though. In those cases they give you a transport tag.

• Like 1

A pass through on a solid liver hit? Have never heard or seen that before no matter the head or distance. Sure where it was hit?

My bad didnt even look at the date on post got caught up in the read