Shedhunteraz

Found Achery Kill 23N (UPDATED)

trphyhntr,

Please do not take my comments as negative towards you. They are not. What I am saying is that MY confidence level is maxed out at 50 yards, and I would not take further shots. I am just as confident at 60 as I am at 90, of not being 100% confident in the most humane shot possible due to the variables such as:

1. Wind-just like a bullet, will exponentially change the impact point over longer ranges than shorter ranges. Everyone knows this with bullets and can compensate, but how many archers know how to compensate for wind at longer ranges?

2. Buck fever-cannot be measured.

3. Elevation--Sure, everyone shoots their bow a lot at their house or their range, but how many have shot at the elevation they will be actually hunting in? For elk, that can easily range from 4,000 feet to 10,000 in this state. Arrows WILL fly differently at 4,000 than they will at 10,000.

4. Arrow weight and broadhead weight can weigh heavily at longer distances making the drop much more pronounced.

5. Broadhead type--expandable vs. fixed. How does it fly at 20 yards versus 90? How does it penetrate thicker hides? Will it blast through small bones at 20 yards but stop dead at 90 yards due to less energy?

6. Weather--is it sunny and hot? Is it raining? Is it cloudy? They can wreak much more havoc at longer distances.

7. Vision--Can you see that twig at 20 yards? How about that one at 89 yards?

8. Energy--Significant drop in energy remaining in the arrow from 10 yards to 90 yards.

Really not trying to do anything other than answer your question. I am comfortable out to 50 yards, not 60 not 90. Too many variables make those longer shots much more difficult to be a humane shot, IMHO. You asked for variables, I provided some very reasonable variables that I believe limit MY comfort level.

• Like 2

9. Animal movement is exxagerated MUCH more at longer distances. Sure, animals can jump the string at any range, but the time it takes an arrow to get 90 yards versus 10 yards is so significant that it cannot be overlooked or poopooed away as not a major variable. Animals cannot "jump the string" at 10 yards to the point that you hit them in the hind quarters or generally gut shoot them. That becomes a significant concern at 90 yards.

• Like 2

interesting. i guess i never think that hard about it. i just put the pin on him and fling. its worked well for me so far. but i practice a lot too.

That is because you practice a ton. Archery shooting is both cerebral but becomes quite instinctive over time and consistency. Archers must always remember the cerebral aspects, however, because the variables exacerbate over distance. Practice helps a ton, but I also believe that certain distances exceed an archers capabilities for lots of reasons. My personal limit is 50. It is our obligation to ensure humane harvests of our game. Anything less is unacceptable as true hunters.

I think our conversation, although a wonderful insight into distance shooting and personal limits, is an unfortunate off-spin of assumptions made into the original intent of this thread, which was to try to reunite a hunter with a harvested bull. The original intent was quite noble and ended up in the successful reunion which should be commended, but some assumptions were made during this journey that divested from the purpose. I think many people intentionally or not assumed that this bull was lost due to a poorly placed arrow due to long distance shooting or the likes. Sadly, losing an animal, even a well-placed kill shot, comes with hunting. I think the assumptions quickly blew up, unfortunately and led to an off-shoot discussion of the limits of archery shooting.

i think people dont shoot enough before the hunt, they go and sight in the bow and thats it. its a lot different shooting an animal, heart rate way up. i run the 3d course at usery to get my heart rate up and practice shooting like that.

Ok so if im reading this corectly 5 wounded bulls,10 confirmed hunter one shot kills? I had tag#9 out of 15. I killed my bull at 40 yards with one shot so thats 11 dead bulls. 4 hunters wounded 5 bulls? I wonder how many bulls realy got shot.

• Like 1

Shooting at angles also plays a big factor. Most people practice on level ground, and may not be adjusting their yardage for up, or downhill shots. Just a thought.

• Like 1

Ok so if im reading this corectly 5 wounded bulls,10 confirmed hunter one shot kills? I had tag#9 out of 15. I killed my bull at 40 yards with one shot so thats 11 dead bulls. 4 hunters wounded 5 bulls? I wonder how many bulls realy got shot.

idk but your bull is gnarly bro

• Like 1

idk but your bull is gnarly bro

Thanks and for my first its good enough for me.