Shedhunteraz

Found Achery Kill 23N (UPDATED)

Just my opinion, but even if i could shoot better than the world champ archer ,i would never take a shot at any bull in any circumstance over 60 yards. Theres way to much that can go wrong. This is the reason why so many bulls are wounded each year , to long of shots being taken. It's not about how good of a shot you are, it's about all the variables that have nothing to do with shooting itself. That being said i've wounded 3 bulls over the last 20 years, all those shots were under 40 yards. I thinks it's awesome that the person may get their elk back, wish somebody would have done this for me on one occasion a while ago, but they kept it instead. Kudos for the effort!!!

try practicing some time and building confidence. no e-brag but when i go to the range i see people shoot worse groups at 40yds than i do at 80. some people just cant shoot worth a darn, some dont even practice. combine that with an adrenaline rush and you end up with a lot of poor shooters. but i agree people should know their limits.

Definitely glad this guy got his bull. And to clarify, I am not saying shame on this dude for not recovering his bull. Shame on us as archer's as a whole for wounding so many.

• Like 2

There is absolutely no repercussion for answering honestly on those cards. There is no way to track them. Above and beyond that there is no law against harvesting an animal if you are unable to recover an animal.

• Like 1

Boy, the self righteousness of some of the comments on this thread are discouraging. So many pass judgement and speak of things hey do not know enough about.

First, the distance from which an animal is shot is only 1 factor in a very complex equation sometimes. I do agree bad decisions are made by hunters at times, and that most of us should slow down in the heat of the moment and be more patient.

Second, I think the biggest mistake made by some archers is not spending enough time in the offseason shooting and getting more comfortable with their equipment. If enough time is spent with today's amazing archery equipment, some remarkable shots can be made. I have seen them, and made some myself.

Third, it is not just archery hunters that are often too lazy to spend enough time looking for a wounded animal. At my age I think I can safely say too many people are too lazy period.

Fourth, it is only because of forums like this that it is even possible for us to know of all these wounded and/or lost bulls. If we could not communicate across the state in an instant, we would certainly know much less. Point is, maybe less bulls are wounded today than ever before, we just have a way of knowing about the ones that are.

FYI, on my last archery bull hunt I wounded six bulls all at over 100 yards before I finally killed the seventh. Boy was I glad too, I was running out of arrows...ok, not really, that's a lie...they were all over 200 yards...

Twoguns

• Like 4

/>Fourth, it is only because of forums like this that it is even possible for us to know of all these wounded and/or lost bulls. If we could not communicate across the state in an instant, we would certainly know much less. Point is, maybe less bulls are wounded today than ever before, we just have a way of knowing about the ones that are. Twoguns

I wonder how many animals were not recovered before range finders? I'm Pretty sure no one heard about those on forums.

I've been guiding archery elk hunters for 18 years now of and on. Sometimes with new mexico seasons included, several clients per year. Almost every time i run into a guy that could shoot the eye out of a gnat at a 100 yards, i stop them and give them a warning we're not hunting deer here, but elk. I usually get the long winded explanation from them about how they shoot 200 arrows a week, and that practice makes perfect. While this makes sense , i usually ask them if their shooting 200 arrows a week at a live elk, and the answer is obviously no. Usually they don't get the point ,until we're in the field looking for a gut shot bull, or better yet one with an arrow in his rump. The whole time we're looking for the animal, i hear more stories and justifications why a 100 yard shot is do able because of their specific archery talents. I have known several people that are awesome archery shots, probably as good as anyone on here, but several of them have more wounded animals to their name than the ones that can't shoot past 50 yards. The reason for this is because no ones going to tell them they can't hit a 1 inch dot on a target at a 100 yards, cause they can do it all day. This time there is no dot, and the animal is moving to a certain extent no matter what, ie;breathing is movement. All i'm saying is unless your practicing shooting at live elk, then your not really practicing with the real situation your faced with shooting at an elk at a 100 yards. I remember shooting a bull in 1995 with a bow at 15 yards right up his rear end. I was shooting awesome that year, and took the shot knowing where the hole was i needed to punch the arrow thru. I shot the bull and buried the arrow perfectly and the bull went less than 20 yards. I remember taking alot of crap from people about taking that shot, i of course i reminded them of my skills and how good i was. It took some years to realize i shouldn't have taken that shot if i was trying to be a responsible hunter, and that just because i could have doesnt mean i should have. just my 2 cents.

• Like 2

i just have fixed pins, if i had one of those adjustables i'd dial it in to 120 and shoot at elk with it. in the other thread the guy is bragging about 1300 yards rifle shots. what more ethical, a bullet shot in 10mph wind at 1300 yards or my arrow at 100.

/>i just have fixed pins, if i had one of those adjustables i'd dial it in to 120 and shoot at elk with it. in the other thread the guy is bragging about 1300 yards rifle shots. what more ethical, a bullet shot in 10mph wind at 1300 yards or my arrow at 100.

The bullet! Haha I've seen your shooting Dick!

• Like 1

i just have fixed pins, if i had one of those adjustables i'd dial it in to 120 and shoot at elk with it. in the other thread the guy is bragging about 1300 yards rifle shots. what more ethical, a bullet shot in 10mph wind at 1300 yards or my arrow at 100.

Very simple question to answer, neither one. The margin of error is to great. It can be done though, but should it be done, that's the question.

• Like 1

/> i just have fixed pins, if i had one of those adjustables i'd dial it in to 120 and shoot at elk with it. in the other thread the guy is bragging about 1300 yards rifle shots. what more ethical, a bullet shot in 10mph wind at 1300 yards or my arrow at 100.

The bullet! Haha I've seen your shooting Dick!

ur 1 cheeky kunt m8 i swear i to god. hey, could be like that guy at the show low cafe that told us he could shoot the head off a sparrow at 200 yards with a bow and 2500 yards with a .22 lol. i told justin about that last weekend when we drove by there

Um I think its time to delete this thread. Way so much going on and being said with some rather vulgar language. Very sad it got this far off topic. Amanda can you please delete

• Like 2

im as confident at 90yds as i am at 60.

Me too, that is why my personal limit is 50 yards. Far too many variables past that for all archers on a live target, IMHO.

youre confident at 90 but your limit is 50?

edit: im also interested in the "variables" that people are talking about? im guessing the animal moving, but thats only 1 variable and thats a chance you have to take, they can jump the string at 30 yards too