Shedhunteraz

Found Achery Kill 23N (UPDATED)

Glad you found the guy that shot it. Sad to hear that many people wounded bulls. I had that tag and shot one bull and killed one bull and know three of the other hunters that shot one bull and killed on bull. So basically between 10 hunters of less they wounded 5 different bulls. Pretty sad.

What I'd like to know is how many of the wounded bulls were shot at something more than 30-40 yards??? I see frequently where people are talking about shooting out to 70 or 80 yards because they "have a pin set for that far". There is a BIG difference between walking around at Usery/Avery shooting long distances at fixed targets and shooting at an animal that far away. Animals move ... field conditions have tons of variables.

Not trying to be a jerk ... but sometimes I think more animals are wounded than need to be because people are taking longer shots than necessary.

• Like 9

Wow..... 100 yards I'll shot out to 80 but the conditions have to be right. I practice that though, perty constant. I hit the in side of a paper plate every time. I see a lot of these sight manufacturer making these adjustable sights so people think either it cool or they actually can make a shot that far.. I don't know but it really sucks hearing about all the wounded and lost animals. Im not saying the animals that were lost or wounded were shot that far either. I've called in elk for people 10' 20 yards slam dunk shot right???? Nope I called one in a couple years back for a buddies, buddy about 12 yards and shot the elk in the gut exiting the back leg. Luckily for that artery we found it perty easy. bad shots happen "THE FEVER" LOL it gets the best of everyone at least once .... I doesn't help when your watching tv and see Cameron Hanes shooting 160 yards with a target sight on his hunting bow.. people look up to people like him and want to do what he's doing and so forth. .... not dogging him, I've seen him shoot and is a dang good shot....yall know where I going I'm not gonna keep going on. Its like talking to a wall. People are still gonna do it..

I practice long distance shooting with my bow and have pins set out to 110yds but I would not try to shoot at that distance on a thick hide like an elk. We also have to consider the loss of kinetic energy as the arrow loses speed. Uphill and downhill obviously play a role but so does the game hide you are hunting, size of vitals etc. I double lunged my bull at 60 yards with no pass through and my bow shoots about 268 fps. This would tell me that 60 yards should be my maximum distance on an animal the size of an elk. Lots of modern bows shoot much faster so I can see where bad decision making could up the distances that shooter's feel comfortable at. I agree with the above comments that a range and stationary targets are different than moving animals but the shot shouldn't be on the animal while it's moving should it? Many Blessings Guys

• Like 1

There have been a number of these threads now, and the only thing that should be coming out of this is that the person who shot the bull recovered the bull thanks to someone else being a stand up person. Why cant it just be left at that, every single thread has bee hi jacked by people discussing the amount of wounded animals and how people just make poor decisions. I would be willing to bet that before a site like this you probably had the same thing going on it just wasn't publicly talked about....and nobody could judge another hunter and his decisions with the exception of those people he told himself.

• Like 6

There have been a number of these threads now, and the only thing that should be coming out of this is that the person who shot the bull recovered the bull thanks to someone else being a stand up person. Why cant it just be left at that, every single thread has bee hi jacked by people discussing the amount of wounded animals and how people just make poor decisions. I would be willing to bet that before a site like this you probably had the same thing going on it just wasn't publicly talked about....and nobody could judge another hunter and his decisions with the exception of those people he told himself.

Yeh what he said

Way to go ShedhunterAz! How about a pic of Camo? Who doesn't like labs?

I wasn't aware that being ignorant to a problem meant there was not a problem. And this thread was not hijacked, the OP said there were 5 wounded bulls he had heard of and none were this bull. Others commented on this information, nobody hijacked anything Rookie. Additionally I don't recall anyone "passing judgement" on any one. I stated that the loss of game is pathetic and we need to do better. If you disagree with that please speak up, I will then pass judgement. I find it shameful that we as archer's lose so many animals and I see no need to apologize for posting this opinion.

• Like 5

First off....congrats to the hunters and this site in helping a hunter find his bull...that right there is TEAMWORK!!! Way to be lookin out....now for the hard truth...there have been Wayyyy to many wounded/lost bulls this season (so far). I personally think this in not only sad as others have stated, but just BS. Yes we all know it happens every year. Read the posts just on this forum alone. I think each hunter has the responsibility to know their own effective rangeand stick to it. Dont let "the fever" overcome you and take a shot you nomally wouldn't!!!! Some of u may not like what I have to say but we DO have a problem going on here and it NEEDS to be addressed again and again. I know each and every one of you work your a$$es lo ff for these hunts. We all do. Just think before you shoot and dedicate yourself out of respect for the animal you r hunting and all hunters.

Aim small miss small..... just sharing my thoughts. This is still a forim right? Stay safe out there and hope each and every one of you have a successful hunt!!!!

• Like 1

Just my opinion, but even if i could shoot better than the world champ archer ,i would never take a shot at any bull in any circumstance over 60 yards. Theres way to much that can go wrong. This is the reason why so many bulls are wounded each year , to long of shots being taken. It's not about how good of a shot you are, it's about all the variables that have nothing to do with shooting itself. That being said i've wounded 3 bulls over the last 20 years, all those shots were under 40 yards. I thinks it's awesome that the person may get their elk back, wish somebody would have done this for me on one occasion a while ago, but they kept it instead. Kudos for the effort!!!

• Like 3