Sign in to follow this  
macknnc

bigger in mexico?

I was checking Amazon yesterday about Coues books to put on my wish list, and one of them, actually a 'paper" was titled "Monster Coues of Mexico" or something like that.

And, as I have stated in several of my posts since I came, I grew up a big Jack O'Connor fan and read he got several of his largest bucks, mulies and Coues, in Mexico.

So, the question is, are the deer in Mexico larger? or are the 'monsters of Mexico' just a matter of luck or concidence?

the larger ones in mexico are usually due to less pressure. AZ has some really big coues just alot harder to find. Mexico is also alot more expensive to hunt if you dont know someone there with a ranch.

• Like 1

"Dink bucks of mexico" wouldnt sell as may books or papers...as stated before its easier to find and kill big bucks in mexico because of the lack of pressure. That being said they are still very hard to come by..very hard.

There is less hunting pressure in Mexico so there are higher buck:doe ratios and more big bucks. That's not to say that there are not ranches that are hunted hard in mexico, but the ones that are lightly hunted tend to have a lot of older, larger bucks.

• Like 1

There is less hunting pressure in Mexico so there are higher buck:doe ratios and more big bucks. That's not to say that there are not ranches that are hunted hard in mexico, but the ones that are lightly hunted tend to have a lot of older, larger bucks.

+1.The key to big bucks in Mexico is to find well managed property, or that hard to find gem of a ranch that has never been hunted commercially! Az still produces MONSTERS!

• Like 1

Oh forgot to mention this but it seems relevelant...the title I mentioned was mine..I could not remember the exact title but it was a biological/ sciencftic type paper, (implying apparently, that there was something in the diet or whatever, that grew Coues bigger...)

The primary reason bucks are way bigger on average in mexico, period , is because it's private land. Everyone who goes down there is hunting basically a private hunting preserve. There isnt a ranch down there that gets hunted even 10 percent as hard as state land in arizona. The deer are def. not as wary, how could they be when they barely get hunted. How many guys go down there and shoot big bucks hiracking which couldn't be done in arizona for a 90 incher. I go to mexico also but it's for taking it easy knowing it's not even close to as hard as arizona. Mexico is what it is, a private ranch hunt, and it's a whole lot of fun , and a way to get a much much bigger scoring buck with much less effort.Almost everyone's biggest buck will come from mexico, and there is an obvious reason for this as stated earlier. Can't wait to go there myself on january 2nd. I'm leaving the hi rack at home though, just can't stomach all that driving all day, and relying on pure luck!!! You can also run cameras in mexico, and they won't get stolen cause everything is private. I would recommend everyone should go to mexico at least once to see what state land might look like if it didnt have 800 tags in a unit, but instead had maybe 6 or 7 tags on it like mexico. Good luck to all going this year and have lots of fun, i can't wait myself.

• Like 1

You can also run cameras in mexico, and they won't get stolen cause everything is private.

Not entirely accurate.

I was part of a group who hunted a private ranch in MX and we had two camera's stolen. No way of knowing if it was one of the ranch hands or if it was someone from a neighboring ranch who had been illegally allowing hunters to cross over property they didn't own. I guess it doesn't really matter the end result was the same...two stolen cameras.

Seems to me more high-end whitetail get killed in the states. High-end = 110+

Johny blaze, it just seems like more big deer are killed off state land cause you see more of the pics from bucks killed from az verses mexico. There are plenty of mexican nationals hunting down there killing super giants that your never going to see a pic of cause they don't even know about coueswhitetail.com or speak english for that matter. Also there are literally thousands and thousands of tags on state land so just by the numbers of hunters alone it makes it seem like more big bucks are killed in arizona, but if you broke it down ,hunter for hunter, there are far more big bucks killed in mexico each year per hunter in the field. I would say we only see a few pics of all the mexican giants killed each year while we see 90 percent of the pics of arizona deer. The amount of deer taken by non mexican nationals isnt even close to how many are killed by mexican nationals. if mexican nationals pulled out all their bucks that are sitting in their houses and entered them, the entire record book for coues would be turned upside down over night.

• Like 1

I think we just don't hear about them as much. I did see one that went 127 on the wall of a resident when I was down there last year.

• Like 1

Well, if that the case then that will be normal... how many hunters hunt in a season here in the States and how many in Mexico?

Also, know of lots of people from here that go and hunt in Sonora kill big bucks and they never say anything. Here just some of them ..

post-2893-0-32665600-1388524393_thumb.jpg

post-2893-0-33423000-1388524449_thumb.jpg

post-2893-0-21988000-1388524526_thumb.jpg

it's not so much hunting pressure -

tags for the ranchs are allotted by the government agent

kinda our version of game and fish

lots of ranchs receive the same # of tags yr in and yr out.

guides buy these tags from the rancher - if the ranch has 10 tags the guide must buy them all if he wants exclusive rights to hunt - heres where it gets trickier - if hes in it for the money he sells all 10 tags - yr in and yr out - more than likely the bigger bucks will disappear - if he's smart he'll only sell 4-5 and that's why the price goes up to hunt a ranch . if he only sells 3-4 he's got to make up the difference ,

now the ranchers get smart and knows the big money are the American hunters so he asks more for the tags .

I kinda heard that the # of tags the rancher gets have fluctuated the past few yrs so he only got 8 but still wants the same money he sold 10 for .

so now the guide has to sell a few more to make his money . eventually the quality of bucks go down and the average 105 -110 buck are really considered above average now - that's not to say a few monsters 120+ aren't killed each yr.

you figure it out