Sign in to follow this  
PelaPapas

Bipod or Shooting Sticks?

Haha seems like I have a new question to ask everyday! Sorry...

I'm thinking about picking up either a bipod or some sort of shooting sticks. Something along the lines of a snipe pod or similar. When I zero my rifles I use a shooting rest. When I hunt, I use a tree to lean on or sit down and use my knee for support. I feel better shooting with some sort of support. I have shot prone before (without bipod) with decent accuracy. This is the reason I'm wanting to buy one of the above.

Which one do you guys prefer? Bipod, Shooting Stick, or nothing at all?

What style shooting do you use when out hunting? Again, sorry for all the questions!

Depends on the type of hunting you are doing. If you sit on the side of a hill and glass for hours and try to pick off a buck at 600 yds then you have time to deploy a bi-pod and get prone. If you are hunting a really thick area with brush and tall grass you might not have a tree or anything to rest on so you'll want shooting sticks.

Personally there are times I use both and just deal with carrying around the extra weight.

I've been using Primos Tall TriPod Trigger Stick and think it is awesome. Deploys instantly to the height you need it and is sturdy enough to use as a walking stick. I also mount my binos to it and use to glass from a sitting position.

have a Harris bipod on my rifle and if I have to shoot offhand I will bend the pistol grip on my tripod to the side and rest the rifle on it

I like a bipod with a pack under the butt.

For you guys who use bipods, what size do you guys recommend? 6-9 inch, or bigger?

I believe mine is the 25C, has 3 segments on the legs instead of 2, gets up high enough for a sitting to kneeling position for shooting over tall grass, pay the extra $25 for the version that cants, you won't always have time to level the legs

I learned pretty quick last year with pig hunting and rifle deer with buddies that bipod is almost useless, This year I am using my pack as a bipod if needed and using my tripod for my spotting scope and for rifle rest. We will see what happens. I figured I am carrying my pack and tripod anyway.

I have a bipod that pivots on my gun. I like it because it is always there ready for use, it is quick, and shooting prone off of the bipod is the most accuate for me. There are times when the terrain does not allow me to get a shot from the bipod (mine goes only to 13 inches I believe). For these shots I put the triclawps on the tripod I use to glass from. This alows me to get a steady shot anywhere from the seated to standing position.

I carry both. A Harris 6-9" is perfect for prone. Get the model with legs segments, really handy. If grass, etc., is too tall I use the sticks or I also carry a home brew "shooter" for my tripod and use the sticks for the rear support. If I had to choose one, it would be the bipod - no question. I'm not sure why people think bipods are useless. 4 of the last 5 deer I have killed were shot prone.

Both are very handy and as Norteno pointed out - it really depnds on the situation which is better. I always have a bipod mounted on my rifle (kids too) and try to create the situation where you have time to get set up for the shot. Prone is best, sitting is pretty good too. Any time you can use your pack for a rest, that's a plus. The longest Harris bipods are nice, but the more you extend them, the less stability you have. Sometimes it's better to use your glassing tripod if you need to be higher up than prone. One more consideration with the rifle mounted bipods - the one I've used for many years doesn't pivot, and more often than not, I find myself jamming something under one side to get level. The next one I buy will pivot.

If you practice off a rest and use a sand bag or other "squeeze" method under your back elbow or the buttstock - in a hunting situation you can yank out a water bladder and accomplish the same thing.

A Stoney Point shooting stick is also great to have along. It doesn't usually get in the way and actually makes a pretty useful walking stick in tough country, and if you happen to get in a situation where you have to shoot quickly and/or there is no easy way to get set up with a bipod, it makes for a much more stable rest than shooting off-hand.

Best of luck.

My wife,daughter and father all used my triclawps this deer season with success. With that being said I have a harris bipod on my 7mm. I also had the triclawps attached. Long story I wound up on a boulder pile using one leg of the bipod and my X2 pack for my rest. It's all situation and preference.If you are a glasser with a big heavy tripod I say triclawps or if you pack a light tripod put a little shooting V of some kind...

Jim White has an adapter for his tripod that works pretty good. Just a little V deal that sits where your binos go. If I have time, Ive got a versapod that cants, 24 inch adjustable legs for uneven ground, then I flip my tripod head upside down and put the butt of the rifle in the crook of the handle. Its as close to shooting off a bench in the field that ive found.

Keep in mind I am packing all my gear on my back so carrying extra is not an option. As far as Bipods I have one on every gun but will remove them now before going hunting. On our pig hunt we could not get a shooting lane anywhere without standing. Prone was just not going to happen with all the vegetation, most of the trees we could grab were thorns or so bushy you couldnt get to the stable branches, Tripod would be the ticket I believe, if bipod would work then my pack with suffice for that.

I love my harris bipod. I have one that can swivel side to side to adjust for uneven terrain. It's also the model that extends so you can shoot sitting up, which I usually prefer because the grass can be too tall to see through. I also like using my tripod under the butt of the gun for making it even steadier for long shots.

this pic shows the bipod and a small tripod under the butt of the gun.

post-1-0-73592600-1383329483_thumb.jpg