Sign in to follow this  
Snapshot

Lightweight hiking shoes.

I am looking to purchase a lightweight high top hiking shoe/boot for the upcoming archery hunts. Something along the lines of Merrell reflex, or similar.

Something lightweight, rugged, and quiet for stalking.

Anybody have any suggestions? Does Sportsman's Warehouse carry a good selection? It's been awhile since I have been in there

I just hunted for 4 days in my Merrell Phaser Peaks, only time they thought about slipping were on the hills like this /... I also have a pair of the Vasque GTXs from a couple years ago. They're lighter weight than my Merrells and have gore-tex, but I think the Merrells I have have more support and a stiffer shank for heavier loads. Hope this helps. The key is just make sure they FIT!

• Like 1

The Solomon's have won a bunch of awards from various hiking mags so Amanda's recommendation is solid! If you are looking for a lightweight shoe I would hit REI and try them all on. I have found when it comes to these types of boots the service and knowledge there is better than anywhere else. Some of the tree huggers really know their stuff. The REI website is also really good to start your search, the reviews are pretty detailed.

It is really hard to make recommendations without knowing what your foot is like. And you can always upgrade the insert to help with support. Most boots are worlds better with a good insole.

I almost bought the Solomon but will probably buy another pair of Asolo. My foot is just slightly narrow so most of the boot brands done fit me as well as I would like. I have so many pairs of hunting brand boots I dont wear because they wont snug up on the front of my foot. Zamberlan has a new lightweight boot I am going to look at as well.

I just bought my daughter a pair of Ahnu that she loves. Very light and they have eVent which is supposed to be the best H2O proof membrane available. I asked 4 days in a row how her feet were on last weeks hunt and she said they were great. One of the mens versions is 1/2 off on the site.

You might like these....I have the women's version and love them. Lightweight, yet super support.

http://www.amazon.com/Salomon-Mens-Quest-4D-Hiking/dp/B00B16SWDY/ref=cts_sh_3_fbt

+++1 Try on a pair at REI and see if you like them. I thought they were pricey, but I waited until they had a garage sale and lucked out by finding a new pair that was half off.

• Like 1

/>

+++1 Try on a pair at REI and see if you like them. I thought they were pricey, but I waited until they had a garage sale and lucked out by finding a new pair that was half off.

x1,000 for boots at the garage sales! Sometimes you can luck out on Sundays and they put everything 1/2 off the garage sale prices! I gt my Vasques, Merrells, merrell barefoots, and a pair of Merrells for my wife do like $50 total one time... Lol

Thanks for the info.

I use size 12, with a narrow foot. But I have Plantar Faciitis in my right foot and need solid arch support for hiking. I will cruise the REI website and see whats available. I was hoping to keep the cost around $125

a friend of mine who is on the border patrol mtn team really likes his under armor lightweight hiking boots.

if you find a boot that doesn't make you hurt let me know, I'm a 14EEE and also have plantar fasciitis. It sucks!

Yes it does. Some days, I feel like chopping my foot off, it hurts so bad. Time for another Cortizone shot.

Not sure if these are stil made but the Under Armour Speed Freaks are really a great boot for light hunting. I've put mine through countless turkey hunts, bull in unit 1, etc. They aren't great for really rocky terrian, but they fit the bill for places where you need a light boot.

Go to a running store like road runner, etc. Pay them to fit you into a pair of shoes and insoles. Then use the insoles in everything. Or do the same thing at the foot doc. My wife has PF as well, for this or thighs like reoccurring shin splints you really need to spend the dough to get inserts for your shoes.

Also, stretch, stretch, stretch.... Do it slowly and deliberately every day and over time you will find a huge difference. And yes I know it hurts like he!! But the needles in the foot are worse, my wife said never again.

/>

if you find a boot that doesn't make you hurt let me know, I'm a 14EEE and also have plantar fasciitis. It sucks!

Yes it does. Some days, I feel like chopping my foot off, it hurts so bad. Time for another Cortizone shot.

I've had two so far. I was told alcohol injections are the end all for the pain, I'm scared to do it though.