Sign in to follow this  
jcarter

How long do you sit water?

Im on the late archery hunt and I'm curious how long people sit water for this hunt. All day or mornings and evenings?

Usually about 3 minutes before I lose patience and start chasing every sound in the woods.

• Like 5

i personally wouldn't sit water on a full moon for elk, but you could get lucky, you never know.

• Like 1

Ive been wasting my time sitting water in the afternoons too. Usually from noon to dark. Then I waste my mornings stumbling around still hunting and trying to remember why did I ever put in for another of these late archery hunts.

Just returned from my 22N archery elk hunt. Sat a salt lick and water hole combination site. It was extremely boring. If I were sitting water for bear, I could always leave to call for them, but no such tactics on late season elk. Friday morning, I left my blind around 11 am and stalked a rustling in the oak leaves below me. I moved into position, but could only see the back of the elk. I was at 10 yards for 20 minutes before I could finally see that it was a cow and not a bull. I scanned every tree and bush around the area and saw another smaller cow. I made my presence known just to be certain that there was not a bull lurking nearby. There was not. Only the two cows. They were the only elk I saw for four days.

I sat in the blind from 5am to 10 am and then from about 2-6pm each evening. Had a trail cam up and no elk showed while I was out stalking around or at night. Perhaps the Friday-Saturday storm busted them out of the area?

Rifle cow for me next year.