Sign in to follow this  
Umpqua

Unit 5B Antelope in 2014?

I have been applying for sheep in Arizona since the early 1980's. Along the way I have built up 24 antelope points. I checked the data on-line and I stand all by my lonesome as the only non-resident applicant with 24 or more antelope points. I pretty much have my pick of units. I've narrowed my choices to Unit 5B, 9 and 10, with 5B being my first pick.

My question is to those who were on the ground in any of those units this summer of fall, from the antelope you saw, if you were me would you burn your points in 2014?

I have yet to be blessed with a antelope tag, however the past 2 years I drew bull tags in 5bn and have seen some monster antelope while elk scouting. If I was sitting on 24 bonus points I would definitely put in for 5b. Good luck to you.

I spend a lot of time in 5B looking at antelope and have decided to use my 22 bonus points in 10. Just not seeing that much in 5B, it's not what it used to be.

I might be guiding this year,5b wasn't that great this year but it's better then 10 most of the time,if you don't

book with anyone i will send you some pics this summer.at least one auction tag and one raffle tag will be taken from this

unit so you better hope there is more then 2 bigguns.how big are you looking for.and don't forget unit nine which I think is better then 10, but you better have time to scout for this unit.

Seldom Drawn

I spend a lot of time in 5B looking at antelope and have decided to use my 22 bonus points in 10. Just not seeing that much in 5B, it's not what it used to be.

Wow you might want to start looking other places in 5b,it would be a waste of points to put in for 10 when you live so close to hunt.

I might be guiding this year,5b wasn't that great this year but it's better then 10 most of the time,if you don't

book with anyone i will send you some pics this summer.at least one auction tag and one raffle tag will be taken from this

unit so you better hope there is more then 2 bigguns.how big are you looking for.and don't forget unit nine which I think is better then 10, but you better have time to scout for this unit.

Seldom Drawn

Seldon Drawn, I've taken over a dozen antelope and several in the mid 70s up to 80. My personal goal is to kill a net B&C buck on my own. I've eaten a couple top end Nevada tags chasing that goal.

unit 1.

did i mention unit 1?

or maybe unit 1.

maybe, well maybe, we'll be hunting together. well maybe-with 21 points i'm 50/50 and unit 1 will be my 1st choice. and unit 1 will be my 2nd choice.

but i don't want to confuse anybody.

lee

/>unit 1.

did i mention unit 1?

or maybe unit 1.

maybe, well maybe, we'll be hunting together. well maybe-with 21 points i'm 50/50 and unit 1 will be my 1st choice. and unit 1 will be my 2nd choice.

lee

No, no, no you are being swayed by your home town love for unit 1. Unit 10 is the only place to kill a big buck in this state. You have to put in there. I mean, look even the locals know 5b isn't good enough. Unit 10 you definitely have to put in there. :)

• Like 2

I think every year the biggest buck in the state is in 5b. They are very hard to find however. I would wait another year or two personally. 18b is looking good. 10 always is ok, too much hype though. 19a always has big bucks, watch the houses. the buck in 13 are from 19a. Have fun with that.

I think every year the biggest buck in the state is in 5b. They are very hard to find however. I would wait another year or two personally. 18b is looking good. 10 always is ok, too much hype though. 19a always has big bucks, watch the houses. the buck in 13 are from 19a. Have fun with that.

I am thinking of waiting, like you said a couple years. It's no problem continuing to buy a point since I apply for other stuff in AZ.

unit 1.

did i mention unit 1?

or maybe unit 1.

lee

ive never seen a really big buck in 1

Whatever happened to 19B? They shut it down that year and then cut the tags to almost nothing, seems like it should be crawling with giants now? The genetics in the 19's is off the hook, they just shoot every 3 year old buck in there every single year, so it seems to me if they got a bit of time to grow that would be the place to be? I know the big chino shut down hunting, but I know if I was sitting on that many points I'd look long and hard a 19B and see if you could secure access to the Big Chino even if you had to pay a little bit to do so, there's gotta be some monsters on there now?

Whatever happened to 19B? They shut it down that year and then cut the tags to almost nothing, seems like it should be crawling with giants now? The genetics in the 19's is off the hook, they just shoot every 3 year old buck in there every single year, so it seems to me if they got a bit of time to grow that would be the place to be? I know the big chino shut down hunting, but I know if I was sitting on that many points I'd look long and hard a 19B and see if you could secure access to the Big Chino even if you had to pay a little bit to do so, there's gotta be some monsters on there now?

Antelope peak at 3 or 4 years so the older not the bigger. look to pay at least $1000 if you know someone, otherwise access plus a guide fee for 19b.