capoeirajosh

Shooting with your jacket on

I decided to fling some arrows with all of my hunting gear on. Well the top part (jacket, mask, gloves). I noticed that I was shooting to the left. I am a right hander. Took the stuff off and was fine. My string is hitting the left arm of my jacket everytime I shoot. It doesn't hit my arm when the jacket is off. Could this be why I am missing left? Should I just keep practicing more with my hunting clothes on?

Yes you will shoot left when you get string drag. Try to find some over-sized rubber bands to put around your arm to compress your jacket sleeve. This might give you the clearance you need.

• Like 1

I'd recommend the sock over your jacket sleeve. They sell them that are intended for this purpose or you can make your own. I started off with one, but no longer need it. Not sure if my jacket got old/soft or my form is better than it used to be, but I no longer need it.

You are smart to practice with all your gear on :) Lots of mistakes in the field can be prevented by doing this (something I learned the hard way).

• Like 2

Being from back east originally this is a common thing to haVhappen. One of the reasons IMO we hit our jacket sleeves is because we are shooting too long a draw. I shoot with a bent arm and always have. its an inch shorter than what I could draw but i never hit my sleeve no matter what im wearing. Some experts or archery coaches say you should be shooting bone on bone straight arm, with inside elbow turned or rotated towards the string. I disagree unless your mostly a target shooter, indoors, or always hunt in great weather because the stuff i need to wear in 20 below is NOT going to compress.

Always a good idea to shoot with all your gear on. including your quiver! :wacko: I practice with my quiver off then when I put it back on to hunt with I didnt notice the quiver hitting my arrow rest cord. as a result the arrow rest did not deploy fully and i miss a good buck as I hit the ground 6 feet in front of him. Took me awhile to figure that one out. :angry:

• Like 1

Oneshot, you are correct to some degree, if you keep changing your anchor point and point of draw your draw length will change. however if your shooting a bow with a draw stop which most bows have these days and you stop at the same archer point I respectfully disagree with your opinion. You will not change draw length. It does work and it works well and I don't hit my jacket sleeve...ever.

As for quivers on your bow changing tuning. I highly doubt it will have anything to do with tuning. quiver on or off the bow it hit and shoots exactly the same. Difference was on my bow once i installed the quiver it rub up against the draw cord for the limb driver arrow rest. that stopped the rest from going to full deployed position. thus the reason I mentioned it. BYW, I shoot with a tight spot quiver and have it balanced to the bow. so on or off the balance top and bottom are the same.

GBA

• Like 1

/>You can also cut the toe-end off a large sock and pullover your arm to compress the fabric alittle... Is your elbow pointing down instead of to the side when you draw???

Good Luck...

My elbow is doing both actually. Kind of in between down and to the side. I bend my arm though.

/>

Just a lion cloth for me...

But your full-bore-hard-core Lance, the rest of us have to go with the crack, sack and back wax to rock the loin-cloth...

BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!

Thank you everyone for the replies! Great stuff!