Sign in to follow this  
AZHEETER

First Archery Mule Deer 37B

Saturday was the lucky day. Started the day off chasing a spike for a few hours till I got busted by a group of does. Glad I did because about an hour later I spotted this nice 4×4 and put a stalk on him. He was with 4 does, the wind was perfect and they were coming right towards me so I got ready to take a shot. 3 does came through an opening in a a drainage at 30 yards so I waited for him to come down same trail. He stopped just short of the opening and I drew back my Hoyt. Looked to my right and the three doe had spotted me at 25 yards. So I had to act fast and I let the arrow fly at 33 yards through an opening in a mesquite tree. Saw the arrow slam through him and he took off in the direction he came from. Blew my buck grunt and he stopped. He started walking up the next ridge and saw him wobble then go behind some cactus’ and never saw him come out. The doe took off running shortly after So I waited 45 minutes to begin the search. Found the arrow just passed where he was standing covered in blood and knew he couldn’t have gone far. Began tracking him and found first blood 15 yards down his trail. Was not hard to track the blood trail and found him laying in the bush 50 yards from where he was stuck. Was hunting alone and didn’t have any field pics with me in them. My uncle came to help me pack him out but I was able to get him back to the truck before he got there. Glad I passed on smaller whitetail in my rifle hunt and was able to tag out with my first archery buck. Now I get to help my dad try to bag his first archery buck. And in a few years I will get to take my boy out to get his first deer.

post-11834-0-94480000-1387306942_thumb.jpg

post-11834-0-47548500-1387306991_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Thanks everyone. I have been hooked since my dad got me my first bow at 5 years old and we use to go to 3d target shoots. Have killed lots of javelina and a bull elk with my bow. This was the hardest critter to take with the bow this far

Congrats man! That's awesome! I'm still working towards my first big game kill, rifle or bow. Got my archery deer tag and my jan pig tag! Hoping to have some success, something like this would be a dream!