Sign in to follow this  
ciomber

what to do once buck spots you?

This might sound nuts but if you get spotted, get on all 4's and start milling around in circles like a stink pig. I have done that and had deer go right back to feeding. Not at 93 yds though. 150 and 200 yds. Deer watch behavior. They are used to being stalked and know what it looks like. They also come in close contact with other animals feeding. If you get spotted outside your shot range, dint act like a predator, act like prey.

• Like 4

you sure they weren't laughing and pointing at you Donnie? Do you make grunts and teeth clacking noises too?

I have bent over with my ghillie suit on and slowly moved in on game, they would let me get just about to shooting range before moving off, chased one buck around the desert for about an hour, bet it was hilarious to watch

• Like 1

Joking aside -

There has been lengthy discussions on taking "ethical " shots on deer --using rifle - archery - whatever

Everyone's level of experience is different- what works today may not work the next time

Conditions play a key roll- animals are alert - the weather - the fatigue of the hunt etc.

Taking or attempting a shot can depend on so many things-

why ruin an experience by taking a shot that might just wound an animal - but in reality that can happen at anytime , even by the most experienced of hunters . Way too many variations of what can go wrong and usually does!

if an animal is alert and you can safely move away - do so - if not try to outlast him and give it time to settle down

If he's got you pinned - it will all depend on him - you'll know by what happens next. Chances are ,even if he busts out , he'll be back , .Sometimes the next day, depending on if you don't push him .

the majority of hunters I know will not take a shot , just to shoot or say hey I got a shot

Good luck on your hunt - let us know what happens

This might sound nuts but if you get spotted, get on all 4's and start milling around in circles like a stink pig. I have done that and had deer go right back to feeding. Not at 93 yds though. 150 and 200 yds. Deer watch behavior. They are used to being stalked and know what it looks like. They also come in close contact with other animals feeding. If you get spotted outside your shot range, dint act like a predator, act like prey.

I have done this with elk in open areas. I crawl toward them and keep ripping handfuls of grass along the way. The trick is to get into shooting position without being busted once you are close enough.

• Like 1

I appreciate the feedback, I dont know if it was on this sight or a picture online but I saw a guy with a foam doe mule deer head on and a giant buck propped up for photos and I thought to myself that I really wish I had one of those the other day. I know they work with pronghorns why not mulies. I guess as archery hunters we gotta be willing to try some different tactics to get close. Thanks again and I will post if I get him.

I personally have no judgments about a guy taking a 80,90 or 100 yd shot. If you're a true sportsman and love your quarry you'll do the right thing when the time comes and if you make a mistake, you won't do it again.

As far as the decoy thing...

I have thought about making a hat that looks like a doe muley for years, even if it only got me 10 more yds on average. Great idea.

This is great advice. 2 times ive had lone does follow me and once 3 muledoes and a small buck. All three times I wasnt after deer and was sneeking with my nose in the wind. Every time this happened I would just keep walking softly by them trying not to spook them as I was turkey or elk hunting. When I came upon them the wind was right but it was like curiosity got them and when I got past and the wind was blowing right to them they wouldn't spook like they new I wasn't there for them. The mule deer was during the fall turkey this year and was so cool those deer followed me for about 150 yards and at one point the little buck got within 30 yards of me wind all wrong. It goes against all ive learner. You never stop learning these animals!
  • Like 1