Sign in to follow this  
Kelney

My Muzzy Muley

After hunting sporadically over the past several weeks with seeing few deer that I wanted to hang my tag on, I was feeling the pressure of getting it done this last weekend. I also felt the pressure once I realized this was a highly sought after tag which I did not realize when I put in for it. I must admit, I am more of an elk hunter than a deer hunter. Fortunately my brother was able to come down for the day and accompany me on my muzzleloader hunt. We have always been on the same hunts but we tend to go our own separate ways. He has not done much desert hunting so it was a new experience for him and I am a novice at best as far as the desert is concerned. Anyways, while heading towards the hunting area I changed my mind and decided to hunt an area that I only scouted via Google Earth. This area was further away and would cause me to get to my hunt area after daylight which I usually can’t stand to do. I see a ridgeline ahead of where I parked and bee lined up to it to do some glassing. My brother quickly sees some deer that were 1.5 miles away. At that distance we were unsure if there were any bucks in the group so we decided to glass some more and hopefully find something closer. So after 20 more minutes of glassing to no avail we decided to trek over to where we saw the deer which went over the ridge. As we approached the ridge we knew there were was a buck in the group due to the aroma they had left in the area. We proceeded to slowly hike and gag up the ridge and once on the other side I saw the group of deer which involved 2 bucks and 2-3 does down on the flats. I was able to get set up on my shooting sticks and my brother ranged it at 220 yards. I have practiced at 200 yards with my Remington 700 MLS so I was pretty confident with my shot. My brother identified the larger of the two buck and I sent my Dead Center on its way. I was not sure if I hit it due to the cloud of 209 smoke but my brother had seen it stumble into some brush and it was later found that I center punched the heart.

post-530-0-36732300-1388455912_thumb.jpg

post-530-0-87114300-1388455947_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

That's a neat buck, and a 220 yard shot for a muzzle loader is pretty awesome too! Congratulations on a successful hunt.

Nice Buck. Congrats

Congratulations on a great buck! Heck of a shot as well. Way to go!