MT_Sourdough

looking to learn from a successful predator hunter

cover sents and such things are a waist of money when hunting coyotes you will never beat there nose do use a soap to kill the ultravelet glow of your clothes regular soaps have a brighter in them it will make you stand out as they say on tv don't be a glow dope when setting up set up with some what of a cross wind with places where a coyote has to move threw more open ground to check out the caller when setting up set you gun where you think he will show or go to to keep movement to a min I aways have a rifle and a shot gun you will get hard chargers that will come all the way to the caller you will have kill that are feet from the caller yesterday killed a grey less then a foot from the my caller after waiting for him to move away from it so I didn't hit it as far as you rifle goes it is fine just not very good on fur I don't use the vmax anymore to mutch time sewing holes I use Winchesters varmintx in 223 you cant get them for you rifle to since I went to them no more sewing holes and do just as good a job at putting them down as the vmax as far as what a coyote hide is worth I just got my fur check in with a 38 dollor average not bad wages for a little more time to put up its a hobbie that will pay for itself once you get better at it between trapping and calling its my full time job 5 months a year just don't take any fur to the state sale you will get more money sending them off to fur companies where you are at the coyotes are worth more than here more hair by not skinning you could be leaveing up to 75 dollars laying there yet if you seen a 20 on the ground you would pick it up utube has lots of vidios to show you how to do everything from skinning to stretching the hides keep going and lerning even if you go with uther people you will still develop your own way of doing things as you learn what works and what don't after 30 years off hunting them I still am learning

When getting into position, should the wind always be in your face, or is a cross wind acceptable? Went out Saturday and Sunday, saw 20 dogs on 4 stands. Only 1 was slightly interested, but stopped at 350 yds, and turned away. The rest seemed to be completely occupied hunting field mice and prairie dogs. Most were 600-1000 yds out. What are your thoughts on what I may have done wrong, or were they just un-callable? Locator call would get a response, but rabbit distress and woodpecker calls were ignored. Thanks for any help.

When getting into position, should the wind always be in your face, or is a cross wind acceptable? Went out Saturday and Sunday, saw 20 dogs on 4 stands. Only 1 was slightly interested, but stopped at 350 yds, and turned away. The rest seemed to be completely occupied hunting field mice and prairie dogs. Most were 600-1000 yds out. What are your thoughts on what I may have done wrong, or were they just un-callable? Locator call would get a response, but rabbit distress and woodpecker calls were ignored. Thanks for any help.

cross wind is very acceptable. in fact I prefer it. the shooter should be set up down wind from the caller.

if you can see them mousing way out, try and put a stalk on em'. get in as close as you think you can without being detected and give a few squeaks from the back of your hand or a mouse type squeaker.... that'll get their attention.

when setting up try to predict where they will come from.

if they turn away, they either seen you smelled you or have played that game before.

James

• Like 2

I dont know how many of you do this, but i have had resounding success with a certain method. When a yote gets hung up , however far out that may be, i always lip squeak, pretty much a high pitch kissing noise made by puckering your lips and sucking in a touch of air. 9 out of 10 times makes the predator come in on a line. Also a great way to let your partner know you have a yote coming in and to be still

Things come together better on some days, for sure. A couple weeks ago, this one came in just a couple minutes and stopped 10 yards from the call.post-3698-0-22953400-1427129960_thumb.jpg