MT_Sourdough

looking to learn from a successful predator hunter

I really want to get into predator hunting. I bought a rifle specifically for the purpose and I also have an Alpha Dogg E-caller. I have gone out a couple of times and I am learning from my mistakes, but I want to shorten the learning curve a bit by accompanying a seasoned predator hunter for a day of calling.

I live in Chino Valley and am hoping there is such a person within 100 miles in any direction that is willing to have a rookie tag along. I'd gladly pay for gas and whatever xpenses might arise.

Right now I am setting up in areas (by mistake) that makes it easier for them to see me than for it is for me to see them. Bottom line, as the only thing I get are a bunch of annoyed birds.

I can just about alter my schedule to meet anybodies time line. I just want to see some buggers get called in and learn those things that are still alluding me.

One more thing, if it matters, I can gladly agree to not return to the places we set up at so a person doesn't have to worry about giving up some spots. I am more concerned with learning how to pick stands than I am about specific locations.

Thanks

Scott

Ask James, (JLW) he's a member here. He's the best predator hunter and his style or techniques are the best and the only one that will work -_-

Every hunter has it own way, style or technique for calling predators, my own way of calling coyotes have work wonders to me. I will send you a PM answering your questions. Don't want to upset any one.

Once you get response from several people you can try everything and you'll get the best from each. Good luck on you upcoming predator hunts. :)

Ernesto C :D

• Like 1

Scott,

Let me offer up a few basics for you to mull over.

1. Park your vehicle in an area where it can't be seen from where you make your stand.

2. I will walk anywhere from 75-200 yards from where I park.

3. Get something you can sit on that can keep you 12" or so off the ground so your feet don't go to sleep.

4. Put yourself up against a bush to block your outline.

5. Use a cover scent, face mask and gloves.

6. Stand times should be 15 minutes or so but I'll go longer if I feel the area warrants it.

7. If and when a fox or coyot comes in and you shoot it keep on calling for another 10 minutes as there will probably be one.

8. Look for shooting lanes when you set up.

Tell me about your rig and your failures. Everyone has to start somewhere.

• Like 3

I am not planning on stretching the shots past 300, so I have a Howa 22-250 with a 20" lightweight barrel. In the future, after I have a season or two under my belt, I might upgrade the rifle, but for now it should suffice.

I'm shooting my handloads with the Hornady's 53gr V-Max bullet over Varget for a chronied 35250-3550fps. My groups are about .75" to 1" for 5 shots at 100 yards. I have a set of safari stix and a set of predator sticks to use for rests. Not sure which I prefer yet.

I have the Alpha Dogg E-caller from Primos and a Primos sit n'spin decoy.

I've done a little scent management when heading out and used the wind to my favor, but I haven't worked a mask scent yet. I can get a mask scent. What would you recommend?

One of my problems I have been repeating is setting up in such a way that the critters can come in unseen and stay hidden while having plenty of time to pick me out. At least that is what I think is happening.

What is the best cover scent to use?

Use coyote mist, made by Porath Game Calls. It should be available at Sportsmans Warehouse. It's a mix of animal urine. Spray it on bushes around where you're going to sit & call from. DO NOT spray anything while up wind (or anything you own). I've seen it work myself, it confuses the dogs' nose.

• Like 1

I really want to get into predator hunting. I bought a rifle specifically for the purpose and I also have an Alpha Dogg E-caller. I have gone out a couple of times and I am learning from my mistakes, but I want to shorten the learning curve a bit by accompanying a seasoned predator hunter for a day of calling.

I live in Chino Valley and am hoping there is such a person within 100 miles in any direction that is willing to have a rookie tag along. I'd gladly pay for gas and whatever xpenses might arise.

Right now I am setting up in areas (by mistake) that makes it easier for them to see me than for it is for me to see them. Bottom line, as the only thing I get are a bunch of annoyed birds.

I can just about alter my schedule to meet anybodies time line. I just want to see some buggers get called in and learn those things that are still alluding me.

One more thing, if it matters, I can gladly agree to not return to the places we set up at so a person doesn't have to worry about giving up some spots. I am more concerned with learning how to pick stands than I am about specific locations.

Thanks

Scott

I see you live up in Chino, if you're able to make it to our PVCI (Phoenix Varmint Callers Inc) monthly meeting, first Tuesday of every month at 7 pm, we have a Club hunt the following weekend. You can sign up for the hunt then, or pm me if you just want to go on the hunt. You don't have to join the Club to participate. Checkout our website for meeting location and Club activities at www.pvci.org.

Be as quiet as possible on your way into the stand (dont slam your truck door), keep the wind in your face, don't move during the stand. I have seen a lot of people swing their head side to side looking for animals during the stand. I try to keep my head still, watching in the direction that I feel is the likeliest for an animal to approach. When I do turn my head to have a look around, I move very slowly. I actually stand up on most of my stands now, I can see much better. I stand or sit inside a tree and try to have the sun at my back, but wind is the key factor for stand location. Washes and thick vegetation seem to give best results for me. When I am by myself I usually call something in 2 or 3 times per 5 stands. When I am with someone it drops to about 1 out of every 5 or 6 stands. Stands at first light seem to be best. Also, if you plan on keeping any fur the 22-250 will destroy the pelt. My experience with the vmax is that it leaves huge holes and is not fur friendly at all.

I have to agree with crismp51 the 22-250 is not fur friendly.

I have used these in the past along with using a cover spray. You can also carry an extra hat and rub it on the first dog you shoot and wear it on the next stand. It sounds like you are doing everything right so just keep plugging along until you break the ice. The 22-250 is my personal preference but I don't pelt hunt AND you can always futz around with different bullets and velocities until you find something that works but my old hunting partner Mardy Kemmer shot scores of them with it, albeit most were head shots.

http://www.mackspw.com/Item--i-HS102S?src=Y0807GL0N0N10000&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=PLA&gclid=CM_oit7p37sCFZJhfgod-XEADw

MT-- 1, call here there are a Lot of coyotes AND call where they have not been called. 2 - don't miss. Scott i called in my first coyote when i was 11. i have killed over 250. PM sent. ron

• Like 1

Thanks for all the responses. They are very helpful and encouraging.

Couestracker, I'll try to make the Phoenix Varmint Callers meeting. I know that's about the best thing I can do to shorten the lurn'n curve.

As far as the 22-250 goes, I don't doubt that such high velocity is going to be destructive. Of course as a handloader. Max velocities are one end of a velocity spectrum that I can work with. I can match any 22 centerfire velocity when I decide to get serious about the pelts. You guys are right though, the ballistics and bullet that I mentioned above are not going to be friendly to the fur.

One of the reasons that I have decided to commit to going after predators is my awareness that I am spending to much time at the shooting/loading bench and not enough in the field. Shooting off a bench can become a crutch that handicaps a person in the field. Plus, I need the time in the field for the physical benefits of getting out and walking Predator hunting is a great way to get the time in the field and field shooting experience that will dramatically improve my deer hunting skills.

Oh' I plan to incorporate my other rifles into the equation over time as well. What's better for practice than to shoot with the gun you are gonna hunt with? I made a bullet for my 444 that I named the Chino Valley bullet that weighs 187gr and will have a max velocity around 3000 fps. I made a 125gr bullet for my 30-30 that I named the Tonto bullet. That one will have a max velocity of around 2600fps from my Marlin 30-30. I also have a 110gr Hornady V-max/Nosler 110gr Varmegedon load for my 30-06 that has a max muzzle velocity at around 3400fps.

Again thanks for the responses. All responses, advice, suggestions or constructive criticism are appreciated. :D

One of the reasons that I have decided to commit to going after predators is my awareness that I am spending to much time at the shooting/loading bench and not enough in the field. Shooting off a bench can become a crutch that handicaps a person in the field.

No such thing as spending too much time on the bench. Try practicing off hand shooting. The guys on TV make it look easy sometimes shooting off bipods.

Not really practical for 80% of the situations you will encounter in the field. Lots of times you will only have a few seconds to get a shot off.

• Like 1

Everything PRDATR said is spot on, although I do believe in cover scents, you will never and I mean NEVER outsmart the nose of a coyote! Wind is another important factor to take into account. Coyotes will always (99.9%) go down wind. Keep at it.

I do not understand about fur friendly stuff. how much is an average coyote hide worth? I do believe Scott has made a great choice in picking a 22-250. roninflag

• Like 1