Sign in to follow this  
devilincatcountry

2014 pigs?

Here is one I shot the end of the first week in January. WARNING!!! This picture is not for the timid. This is with an arrow and a broadhead. Needless to say he did not travel very far and was very easy to field dress. Saw a bunch of pigs during the week.

post-4480-0-43708000-1390012550_thumb.jpg

Wow!. I saw that picture and thought that it was no big deal. The picture was cropped at the base of my screen about half-way down on the pig. I then panned down to see the whole picture and nearly choked on a bite of sausage pizza when I saw the "C-section" you performed on that javelina with your broadhead! Gruesome indeed! Way to fill your tag! And thanks for the "explicit" photo warning.

/>Here is one I shot the end of the first week in January. WARNING!!! This picture is not for the timid. This is with an arrow and a broadhead. Needless to say he did not travel very far and was very easy to field dress. Saw a bunch of pigs during the week

What broad head did you use?

Javelina (1).JPG

Looks like you are straining from the weight of that boar. Nice job!

He can't be far from there. What unit?

Unit 33. He bedded down 20 yards from the hit. I thought he may have slipped away, so I blew on my grunt call and he magically stood up and limped away another 30 yards and bedded down again. I waited two hours and went to check on him, but he had moved again. I tracked him about 200 yards on a ridgetop, where he had bedded down twice more, before he went over the ridge top and down the other side. I stopped where he crested and gave him four more hours before going over the edge and bumped him up 50 yards beneath me. He limped away into the brush before I could get a shot off and I never saw him again. All three of his bedding areas had about half the blood volume on the ground compared to his first bedding spot as shown in the picture. He had a decent blood trail all along the ridgetop as well. I went back today to search for his final bedding spot beneath the ridge to check his blood loss and found maybe a six-inch blood spot on the ground. Not a sign of blood after that final spot. Glassed around and pushed the thickets, but he was gone. I definitely learned how tough it is to arrow a coues and respect anyone who has accomplished that feat spot and stalk.

Keith - that's too bad you lost this deer. It sure looks like you had plenty of good blood trails to follow and you gave it plenty of time to die peacefully. This was just bad luck......it is never easy to lose an animal and I am sure you have lost plenty of sleep over this.

I am still recovering after two weeks of mourning. The success of others, however, has been quite therapeutic during this period. No one likes to lose an animal, and if it ever does happen, you hope to never experience that again! Keep posting your harvests!

I have a pig tag, but have been solely hunting deer this season. Twice I've come across pigs that were pretty close and I just watched them feed and go on their way. My husband has been on them a couple times with his buddies. Funny thing was he was on a herd of pigs and game and fish was doing surveys that day via helicopter and they ended up hovering right over the pigs he was on. Nothing you can do but laugh at that one.

Good luck everyone!

Just killed a big female at about 8 yards in the mesquite jungle of a wash.. Crazy to be 10 yards away from an animal for 15 minutes and not have a shot.

Was glassing but not seeing any. There is tons of sign so I decided to sneek through the bottom. Predator called once with no response. Walked right up on her about a 150 yards later. Cat and mouse for 15 minutes trying to find a lane before the shot at 1 pm. Arrow blew through her so fast I lost it. Now if I could just have the same luck with a deer...

Congrats to those who have tagged out this year! Still looking for my first pigalina kill. Have been out twice in 22 and gotten into them both times but haven't gotten a shot - too much brush and pigs busting out of there. The J13 call has only turned a couple around - never brought them in - but sent most of them running the other way as fast as their piggly little legs could carry them.