Sign in to follow this  
devilincatcountry

2014 pigs?

I was out headed into an area never hunted on my quad and passed a 14 year old and his father. After a quick conversation I headed out and was glassing along the way. Well I glassed up a herd of ten and went back to the 14 year old and put him on the pigs and he was able to harvest his 1st big game with his bow. It felt good to help someone else out especially a youth hunter. :D

JD

And you didn't tell the father to come to CWT to post success story?? ;-)

Thanks guys. Yes, he was smiling from ear to ear. Reminds me of my 1st kill with a bow and now I cant stop the fever. My son actually has a Jr. hunt the 24th in this same unit (17A, 17B, and 18B) so I was just doing some scouting. I was really hoping for that big 4x4 to appear behind the glass but no activity. We still have a few more weeks so hopefully I'll make it happen. But hey as they say "A bad day of hunting is better than a good day of work" lol

Shoot Straight my friends,

JD

I am cursed right now. Shot my first ever deer, a nice coues yesterday, and lost him. Went out today to continue the search and arrowed a pig, which also eluded recovery (i have shot 20 plus archery javelina in my career, and this was my first loss) so i am double bummed. For the past two days, all i have been doing is tracking, beyond the blood trail, and it has stretched my skills. But still, no recovered game. I guess that is why it is called hunting. My archery January is now over.

post-4429-0-52847700-1388708939_thumb.png

He can't be far from there.

What unit?

He can't be far from there. What unit?

Unit 33. He bedded down 20 yards from the hit. I thought he may have slipped away, so I blew on my grunt call and he magically stood up and limped away another 30 yards and bedded down again. I waited two hours and went to check on him, but he had moved again. I tracked him about 200 yards on a ridgetop, where he had bedded down twice more, before he went over the ridge top and down the other side. I stopped where he crested and gave him four more hours before going over the edge and bumped him up 50 yards beneath me. He limped away into the brush before I could get a shot off and I never saw him again. All three of his bedding areas had about half the blood volume on the ground compared to his first bedding spot as shown in the picture. He had a decent blood trail all along the ridgetop as well. I went back today to search for his final bedding spot beneath the ridge to check his blood loss and found maybe a six-inch blood spot on the ground. Not a sign of blood after that final spot. Glassed around and pushed the thickets, but he was gone. I definitely learned how tough it is to arrow a coues and respect anyone who has accomplished that feat spot and stalk.

That's too bad. Little out of my way wish I could've helped.

Give it one more look over who knows third times a charm.

Hats of for not giving up so soon.

They be tough lil dudes! my 2nd biggest pig was shot by 2 of my friends days apart then i killed him.. friend had shot him and recovered arrow and broadhead destroyed so figured head shot?? 2nd guy was superficial wound. when i killed he had laceration on side pretty deep and the first guy had shot in pig face and knocked out 4 teeth and within 1 week his cheek had healed closed ! FREAKIN TUFFFFFF LIL DUDES.

Bravo for sure on tracking and trying to claim your critter. had that happen few times and it makes me sick each time. :(

that sucks. seems like decent blood. im surprised he kept limping around, i know they are tough, but for it to keep getting pushed to so many different bedding grounds?

Almost got my first big game animal yesterday. End of the day we turned down a road and one was running about 20yd to the side of the road. Hopped out, grabbed the bow, started chasing it, gotbit to stop, and before I got a shot another truck came down the dirt road and off it ran again. Still a fun day out in the sticks with Coues Kid and my 5 year old. We glassed 2 coues does, 6 muley does, saw some fresh lion tracks, and saw the single piggie. Can't beat that for a sunday!

post-11483-0-89625400-1389034170_thumb.jpg

post-11483-0-54263700-1389034200_thumb.jpg

post-11483-0-02919200-1389034369_thumb.jpg

I know this ain't the mule deer section of the forum. But I just wanted to let you know that karma did pay off. I was out again scouting for my sons jr. javelina hunt. Well the plans were to leave early Saturday morning but my boss tells me that he needed me work Saturday so that killed my plans of hunting the whole weekend. So after work I gather my stuff and off I go with my son and nephew. Got out to our area a little late but did some glassing and spotted does. Sunday morning I'm up early and headed down the trail stopping every 1/4 mile to glass and hopefully spot some pigs but nothing. Get a few miles in and I see someone down a canyon and seen that he was attemping to hull a really nice 4x4 out by himself. Got off the quad and helped him carry his buck to his truck. So off I went and did the same routen drive 1/4 mile and glass to no avial, no pigs any where!!! At this point I was tired and hungry so I started to head back to camp when out of nowhere these 6 doe's and this 3x2 walk out about 50 yards from the road. I park the quad and begin my stalk. Got to about 20 yards draw back and let her rip and I miss!!! Really!!! The buck paid no attention to me and kept chasing the doe's. I get back on him again about 30 yards. Take a deep breath & calmed down. Released and watched my arrow hit him in the boiler. He runs 20 yards and is out. It wasn't the 4x4 I wanted but a trophy in my book. :D

Thanks

JD

post-3832-0-61292900-1389114473_thumb.jpg

• Like 4