Sign in to follow this  
savagman

Javi Tamales

Couldn't hunt today so I decided to start some Javelina Tamales. I haven't made with tamales with Javelina before. I had a hindquarter in the freezer and decided to bone it out and grind the meat with some pork. I wanted to taste the Javelina before mixing so I ground some with just a bit of pork fat and browned it up. I have to say it was quite good. If I had more Javelina meat I would go with just it and about 10% pork fat.

Boned out and trimmed, the hindquarter yielded about 3 lbs of cubed meat. I added about 3 lbs of pork shoulder and 1 lb of pork fat and ran it all through the LEM grinder (plug for the LEM #8 grinder).

I then browned all the meat with a little garlic salt and black pepper. I had to do it in batches so as I added browned meat to the crockpot I also added green chile enchilada sauce, chile arbole, and garlic.

I plan to let this simmer all day. I will add a few more pictures when we assemble the tamales.

post-2937-0-11667200-1389467852_thumb.jpg

post-2937-0-39144900-1389468374_thumb.jpg

post-2937-0-57373400-1389468407_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

We made Jackrabbit tamales for Christmas, just cubed the meat and crockpotted it with salt pepper and garlic, then added Santa Cruz red chile when we shredded it. Everybody keeps going back for more. :) You can probably do the same with the javalina.

The green chile came out so good that I never went all the way. A warm bowl with tortillas was all I needed. Then enchiladas with a fried egg for breakfast, green chile quesadillas for lunch... Yummy.

/>The green chile came out so good that I never went all the way. A warm bowl with tortillas was all I needed. Then enchiladas with a fried egg for breakfast, green chile quesadillas for lunch... Yummy.

Ha! Love it!

I was given some javelina tamales a couple weeks ago and they were awesome. Thanks for sharing Savagman. I'll have to give them a try since they look so good.

TJ