Edge

New SCI Buck Actually Shot Nearly Half Century Ago

This is my dear old friend and neighbor in UT, Max Johnson.

He shot this buck in 1968, but just found out a couple years ago that it's the #1 scoring Muley scoring in at 228..Neat story and couldn't have happened to a better man. Here's the story address, copy it, and paste, I don't know how to link it.

www.sjrnews.com/view/full_story/9915043/article-World-record-deer-shot-in-San-Juan--42-years-ago?instance=home_news_1st_right

post-11051-0-05920100-1389723054_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

Here's the article. Something smells fishy, though. If there is such a thing as the World Safari Club, I've never heard of it. Safari Club International (SCI) has always held its conventions in Nevada, and never in Utah. Mr. Johnson drastically reduced the value of the head by submitting it for record entry. The really big money comes from selling heads to deep-pocket jerks who are so obsessed with record books and trophy measurements that they buy big heads and enter them themselves. As for Cabelas or any other store sending monthly checks to record holders, just ask Barbara Stockwell how many checks she's received for Eddie's No. 1 Coues deer.

---- Bill Quimby

Without going back and reading the story again (I heard it first hand), Let me assure you the only thing that's smells like fish, is the fact that the dweeb whom wrote the story is not an outdoorsman or hunter. He took journalistic license to the point of the absurd. It was about like sending an auto mechanic to do a climatology report.

Last I heard, the head is hanging at the community college classroom in Blanding, UT where Max's son is an instructor.

I love Mrs. Johnson with all my heart, but honestly, Max or his son should've been interviewed for the story, not that the hick reporter would have got it right...Knowing Max, I'm sure he was busy tending to his 5,000 acre farm and herd of Foxtrotters in Eastland, UT.

The head is an SCI record, not WSI. There is no WSI nor do I recall that mistake made, but it wouldn't surprise me. The reporter never even bothered to mention the SCI score.

The head was discovered at an outdoors expo in Salt Lake, not an SCI Convention. Max's son is a teacher and hunting guide and had a booth there displaying the head and his Alaska guiding services.

Max is not concerned about the money this deer head may be worth, he believes his treasure awaits him. He is a devote Christian and loving family man that I have great admiration for.

Oh and as a side note, the buck had been scored before by Boone and Crockett but received some lesser score.

• Like 1

Edge,

You need to read the article you posted again. It was wrong on so many counts that "fishy" does not begin to describe it.

Not only did the author create the World Safari Club and its Salt Lake City convention, he greatly overstated the value of a deer head, even one as huge as this one.

The reason the B&C score was lower than SCI's is because SCI does not deduct points for non-symmetry.

It's a beautiful deer and I'm certain Mr. Johnson is a great person. However, the author of the article deserves to be scolded. The publication that ran his article needs to publish a correction.

--- Bill Quimby

He's a TOAD for sure, where is his grand children running around at? And I mean the bucks grand children haha.

Edge,

You need to read the article you posted again. It was wrong on so many counts that "fishy" does not begin to describe it.

Not only did the author create the World Safari Club and its Salt Lake City convention, he greatly overstated the value of a deer head, even one as huge as this one.

The reason the B&C score was lower than SCI's is because SCI does not deduct points for non-symmetry.

It's a beautiful deer and I'm certain Mr. Johnson is a great person. However, the author of the article deserves to be scolded. The publication that ran his article needs to publish a correction.

--- Bill Quimby

you of all people should know the media always spins a story for the gold bill.

"you of all people should know the media always spins a story for the gold bill."

I think this was a case of an ignorant reporter relying on faulty information from a source who, although he may do some hunting, is even more ignorant than he is.

Unfortunately, there are more than a few of them among us.

==== Bill Quimby

Hey Edge, was showing a friend of mine this deer online, and came across this post. Did you grow up in Monticello? My dad (Gary Martin) grew up with Max and Charlene, we hunted sheep with Keele a few times in Alaska. They’re great people. Went to Max’s ranch a bunch growing up when we would visit family in Utah.