Sign in to follow this  
joey lvr

eastern hunting

Just watched this show as I post this and I think to myself..is this hunting..the guy is sitting in a house 10+ feet in the air and the show goes into some talk about high fence hunting...I can't even do this write up cause Im so worked up. We work our a...s off over here and these guys talk like they work so hard. Maybe I'm taking it to far. Anyone else feel the same way?

post-9346-0-11008500-1391137265_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

it should be "I spent so much". love it when they shoot Javelina in the road eating corn and they crawl on their hands and knees 20 yards then shoot from 100yds and call it a great stalk.

this is arizona vato, real hunting out here. i have a cousin back east, family has a bunch of property, feeders and all that. i let him think he is hunting but if he came out here he would hate it. gotta work.

• Like 1

I grew up hunting in TN...no feeders or food plots, but we hunted tree stands on the corn or bean field or in the oaks. Hardest part of it was deciding which stand to hunt based on wind and other factors and then sitting still long enough to get lucky and have something come along. But that's even more than what these guys are doing. Love western hunting...night and day difference and no comparison.

• Like 1

This drives me nuts... Sitting in a heated blind 50 yards from a feeder is not hunting. That's just killing. Most of them boys would be waving the white flag on the first hill in Coues country.

• Like 3

I don't watch those shows. They are "farming" their animals. They plant hybrid food plots to grow big antlers. I hope these animals aren't allowed in the record books.

• Like 1

Nothing like western big game hunting!!

We are lucky and spoiled here in the west. If you ever had to live back in the States where you either had to own land, lease land, or fight with all the hoards of people on what small acres of public land offered just to hunt you may see things a little different.

I have lived there and I still hunt there on my brothers property, I have set in the tree stands and elevated wood box blinds with a roof for hours and hours. I nearly frost bit my toe's when I was a kid just hoping a buck would come by on our little 40 acres of hard woods. But this isnt high fence hunting. It is however NOT public land, it is private. Your only allowed to hunt your private land that you own so you have to try to figure out how to get those deer to live on your land and not your neighbors. So where legal is where feeders and food plots come in. That's where topping off trees and leaving the tops on the ground for cover and bedding area's come in. Those hunters go to a LOT of work and money year around to make their 30 to 40 acres enticing for deer. And they freeze their hind ends off in sometimes brutal conditions to hunt. Just what hard work do we do out here? Put up trail cams? Heaters in a box blind, I dont see an issue. Id like to see some of the spoiled western hunters sit for hours seeing nothing, freezing for hours and not allowed to go anywhere else but on the property they leased or own. And as bigorange stated, there is a lot of strategy that goes into that kind of hunting... and yes, it is hunting.

If you say no way, you would move then I say only if you can find a job to support you and your family. I also say if everyone was to do that we wouldn't have the huge amount of public land we have now to hunt. Quit complaining about others methods, let them do what they do or have them in your favorite public land hunting spot. If its not for you so be it but I dont understand why your getting so worked up over something you would never do or why you would complain about their so called method of hunting... at least they are doing it somewhere else and not in your state.

GBA

• Like 5

To each their own. I would have a guy take his kids to a heated blind than have that kid sitting in front of the TV watching some gun grabber or bunny hugger.

• Like 4

All hunters have to stick together ... We all have different methods and physical limits. I hunt exclusively with a bow but still respect a coues taken with a rifle. I have a second trip planned to Minnesota on my uncle private land. They do have a lot more deer but the cold is brutal and the deer out there are only on the move at dawn/dusk unlike our deer which are pretty much on the move all day. Yes az is more difficult but I love the challenge. My 2 cents

• Like 2

Every region has different styles and techniques based on terrain, habits and land access, some top notch desert hunters would have a hard time in different regions - with patience and weather if nothing else, I know I couldn't sit in a stand all day when it is below zero and snotcicles are hanging off my mustache. One thing all hunters have in common is love of the outdoors.

We are lucky here in Az with so much public land, views for miles in some terrain, relatively beautiful weather for the most part. I tried hunting in Va and SC when I was in the Marine Corps, gave up. Va was too many people with shotguns in a small area where you are lucky to see 50 yds, SC they used dogs and ran them by guys staged in blinds. Neither one was for a Wy boy used to the Rocky Mtns and sage brush flats. But they guys I went out with were just like me, loved the outdoors and we had a great time sitting around the fire telling lies. They were frothing at the mouth to give my style a try if they could ever get out west.

We all have different styles or things we call "hunting", but the thing we all have in common is passing on the heritage.

• Like 3

We have a lot of guys that use heated blinds here. The blinds are mfg by Ford, Chevy, Dodge and Toyota. They slowly crawl the back roads looking for roadside targets.

• Like 8