Sign in to follow this  
2LuckyHunters

First Bull!!!

post-11830-0-17038700-1393516632_thumb.jpg

Having to wait on the draw is tough! This is my hubby, Jimmy, with his first bull. We hunted hard for this bull. We were finding them, getting in and getting busted by cows daily. On the 11th day of the hunt, we spotted him with his cows and they were on the move. Jimmy had an idea of where they were headed, so the plan was to get out in front of them for an ambush. This bull was bugleing with another, so we got in between them. I set up about 30 yards from Jimmy facing another direction but where I could still see his lane. The bugles were getting closer from both bulls and it was just a matter of time before one of them showed themselves. Luck was on my hubby's side as we caught movement coming up the rise below him. The bull was out in front of his cows and coming in silent! He didn't have a clue that we were there. He stopped 41 yards from Jimmy. Now, I'm watching Jimmy from behind and I'm wondering what is taking him sooooo long to draw. I guess the shakes had set in and he couldn't get his release on the loop! :) After what was only a few seconds, but seemed like an eternity, I see him draw. He settles his pin, and at the moment he released, the bull took a step into him. We heard the sound....THWACK! It was so loud. The bull spun around and I was looking for an exit wound....no blood, no exit. We watch the bull move 25 yards down the rise and stop. He staggers, sways and crashes within sight! We can't believe our eyes! I'm giving my hubby a HUGE smile and thumbs up. We are so close that we can heard him breathing....short breaths that are getting slower and shorter. He expired in less than 5 minutes. As we get up to this beautiful creature, we are just awestruck. I knelt down and thanked him and said a prayer. We were both so thankful to get an opportunity to hunt such a majestic creature. I hope luck is on our side this year and we get another opportunity. Fingers crossed!!!

• Like 6

Great story, thanks for sharing. I am crossing my fingers I get drawn for this same opportunity this year. What broadhead/grain was he using?

I hope you get drawn too. He was using a Muzzy 4 blade, 100 grain on a Carbon Express Maxima Hunter 250. It just buried into the chest cavity. One of the blades clipped some bone and had a small ding in it. The internal damage was unreal.

Beautiful bull. Thanks for posting the story and picture.

You're welcome. The bull in your pic awesome!

Wow, you are great at recaping the hunt- and what an awesome hunt it was! Fantastic bull your husband took. Congratulations!

Wow, you are great at recaping the hunt- and what an awesome hunt it was! Fantastic bull your husband took. Congratulations!

Thanks. I love hearing and reading hunt stories. I guess it's the next best thing if you can't be out there! He was pretty excited....even if he's not smiling in the pic. He was still in shock. :)

I would have been in shock as well. Great write up and thanks for sharing with us all. Beautiful bull for sure. :)

TJ

I would have been in shock as well. Great write up and thanks for sharing with us all. Beautiful bull for sure. :)

TJ

Thanks for the story and pic. Congratulations to both you and Jimmy on a great hunt and beautiful bull!

That is one great Bull! Congrats to your husband.