Sign in to follow this  
JVS

Deer ruttin yet?

This is odd. I've spent a good amount of time in the field this December and have yet to see any rutting activity amongst our coues deer. The closest thing was a 95" buck following (not chasing) 2 does all over a mnt. side. I had the Dec tag last year and had lots of activity. Granted I had much better (more consistant) weather but what's the deal!?!?!? Oh well, maybe they'll get stupid in January when I have my bow.

I just returned home from unit 32 today.I saw 43 does and fawns before finding a buck. I took a nice 4X5 on the 3rd evening

of a solo hunt.This buck was hanging with a spike.I also saw a forkie with another spike.When I hunted this unit last December

the does all had bucks with them.

I hope they wait til january to start ruttin cuz that'll give me glimmer of hope to get close enough to scare one off! :lol:

Got home a little early from work yesterday, so I threw my cami's on & hit a tank for the last hour before dark. Had two mulie does come in right as shooting light faded, about 35 yards away. No buck with them though. That was in37B.

Hey jeffd. Read that you shot a nice 4x5. Maybe you could share a couple of pictures with us and story. Thats sounds like an awsome buck i'd love to see it. thanks

dan - shortshooter

Dan-shortshooter,I am new to computers so I sent some photos to Amanda,maybe she will put them on the az. photo page.

I also sent photos of other mounts from az. and so.cal mulies.As for the story I passed on this same buck last December as

he had broken off his G-2 on the left side.I took a smaller buck so my eight year old boy could watch the stalk and shot.

After looking over many does and fawns I found the same buck as last year.He had broken off the same G-2 again but I

decided to take him this time.

I was in a northern unit last weekend and found some carp bucks herding up does. Was in Unit 33 yesterday and found many many carp does, but no bucks.

Funny, because I was in unit 9 in mid November and saw a nice buck chasing does.

Saw my first indications of rut activity yesterday. A 3x3 mulie w/ 2 does. Stalked to w/in 40 yards and spooked out a herd of 3 whitetail does I didn't even know were there. Of course they took the mule deer with 'em. They were w/in 10 yards of the mule deer. I wonder if those does were with him too, or it was just coincidence that they were all together? They all left in the same direction. Could be that big boy is fixin to make some hybrids. Wonder if those would get better fuel mileage than normal deer? ;)

Saw my first indications of rut activity yesterday. A 3x3 mulie w/ 2 does. Stalked to w/in 40 yards and spooked out a herd of 3 whitetail does I didn't even know were there. Of course they took the mule deer with 'em. They were w/in 10 yards of the mule deer. I wonder if those does were with him too, or it was just coincidence that they were all together? They all left in the same direction. Could be that big boy is fixin to make some hybrids. Wonder if those would get better fuel mileage than normal deer? ;)

I know this is off the subject of rutting deer but i noticed you are from superior. I have a javalina tag in unit 37b, any idea on where to start looking for pigs? heard maybe try the mineral mountains.

Glassed up a group of 8 whitetail yesterday from about 1.5 miles or more away. couldnt put antlers on any of them but one deer was for sure a buck as he had his nose to the ground and was chasing a few deer. had a coyote stand 240 yards away from me for 5 minutes, go figure, i only had my pistol and buddy had his bow! what i would have given to have my kimber 22-250!

I know this is off the subject of rutting deer but i noticed you are from superior. I have a javalina tag in unit 37b, any idea on where to start looking for pigs? heard maybe try the mineral mountains.

I've only lived there for about the last year & a half. Still trying to figure out the area myself. I didn't have time to scout prior to season, but have spent the last 4 days out & yet to see any pigs. All I've been seeing is deer. Your tag is also good for 33 & two of my buddies tagged out down there yesterday. You might check game & fish site to see where they suggest around there. Sorry I couldn't be more helpful. Good luck.

I took out two friends of a friend, who had tags for 34A, on the 30th and saw 4 bucks all three points. Shortly after sunrise we spotted two bucks together with no does. Got out the spotting scope and one of the bucks I would guess score in the 90's the other maybe high 70's. I though it was strange the they were together and the the big one was not with a buch of does. The two guys I was with realy have'nt hunted much before and scared them off before they could get close enough for a shot. That evening spotted 6 does on a hillside nearby. Glassing a bit more I notice a deer doing some chassing. Got out the spotting scope and noticed it was a buck. I couldn't tell how big he was at least a 3 point, but I'm sure that he was pretty nice if he kept the other two bucks away. We didn't have enough daylight to go after him.

I'll probably go back this month with my bow and try my luck in that area.

My wife had the fortune of taking a buck on the 29th. It was the day after the storm. I saw a lot of deer and a lot of rutting activity. 3 nice bucks were tending does, doing the lip curl and the whole nine yards. The weekend before, there was nothing doin' in that same area for whitetail. We did see a nice mule deer with a decent herd of does. It sounds to me like it just must be spotty still.