Sign in to follow this  
Bownut98

Anyone recognize this tree stand and Camera?

I want my GENERATOR BACK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Like 1

This seems to be a losing battle between people that are going the extra mile to try and harvest a trophy and people that simply stumble across a persons work and basically f*#%* them. Many of the people that think hunting someone else's stand don't realize the time money and effort that some of these guys are putting in. There is no way a guy can be at his stand 24/7 so how do you know if its really abandoned. Take down your tree stand every time I'm not hunting? Come on lets be realistic! Leave a note and organize times to sit my spot with another person? While were at it did you want to schedule an appointment with my girlfriend??? You wanna talk about effort on finding animals I for one look for spots and big deer all year long and I put a lot of time, money, worn out boots, and effort into the equation. Call me a prick if you want but, I would lose my shoot if I caught a guy on one of my spots. This simply just comes down to respect in the woods. Here's a thought find your own SPOT and spend your own time money and effort cultivating it, if you think its worth it. Don't take advantage of someone else's hard work. Plant your own tree and pick your own fruit. Tired of this BS

You are really into claiming behaviors. I'd suggest you BUY or lease some hunting land.

I pay no attention to stands & cams (other than to note somebody thinks it's a good spot). If you are there hunting so be it. However, I may need to check the spring you're sitting for sign but I'll try to do it midday. It is public land and nobody can expect to monopolize an area for days on end.

It's not very hard to find big deer, but what it is though, expensive and time consuming. Most of this argument boils down to hunter ability. When i hear of stand jumpers and gear steelers, i immediately know the culprit isn't a good hunter, setting aside his moral values. It's easy to move to the next place if your a good hunter and find more big game to hunt, but it's not if your a crappy hunter. There is a line in the sand drawn, and that line is defined by the respect you have for yourself first and then the guys gear or spot you stumble on in the forest. No one owns a spot for sure but if your a good hunter, it doesn't even phase you to move to the next spot to give another guy his space. It's very easy to be respectful of others if you know what your doing. I can't stand the excuse that everyone uses these days, and that is it's everyone's forest. While this is obviously true, it still boils down to the respect you have for your own hunting ability and yourself. It's just a lot easier to cling onto the excuse that the forest is everyone's, and be a d bag because of it. Next time you get in a situation with another guy in the field or his gear, before you go for the "big excuse", ask yourself "how good am i at hunting". This question will help you determine if you give the guy that's already there his space, or if you reach for the excuse always used and charge in like a bull in a china cabinet. There are big coues bucks everywhere in this state, either you find them on your own or you ride someone elses hard work cause you told yourself your not a good hunter while mumbling the

'big excuse" to yourself kinda like a pep talk for how lame your about to get with your fellow hunter over a spot.

• Like 2

It's not very hard to find big deer, but what it is though, expensive and time consuming. Most of this argument boils down to hunter ability. When i hear of stand jumpers and gear steelers, i immediately know the culprit isn't a good hunter, setting aside his moral values. It's easy to move to the next place if your a good hunter and find more big game to hunt, but it's not if your a crappy hunter. There is a line in the sand drawn, and that line is defined by the respect you have for yourself first and then the guys gear or spot you stumble on in the forest. No one owns a spot for sure but if your a good hunter, it doesn't even phase you to move to the next spot to give another guy his space. It's very easy to be respectful of others if you know what your doing. I can't stand the excuse that everyone uses these days, and that is it's everyone's forest. While this is obviously true, it still boils down to the respect you have for your own hunting ability and yourself. It's just a lot easier to cling onto the excuse that the forest is everyone's, and be a d bag because of it. Next time you get in a situation with another guy in the field or his gear, before you go for the "big excuse", ask yourself "how good am i at hunting". This question will help you determine if you give the guy that's already there his space, or if you reach for the excuse always used and charge in like a bull in a china cabinet. There are big coues bucks everywhere in this state, either you find them on your own or you ride someone elses hard work cause you told yourself your not a good hunter while mumbling the

'big excuse" to yourself kinda like a pep talk for how lame your about to get with your fellow hunter over a spot.

At the same time ... that can be taken to the extreme. I've seen equipment left on "spots" for MONTHS prior to a hunt. If a guy wants to hunt that way, he needs to go buy a food plot in Iowa or Missouri or somewhere.

I don't mess with people's stuff ... but there is nothing I hate more than some Jackhole "claiming" an area months ahead of time on public land. Respect and be respected. I show up somewhere and someone is hunting, I cut them a wide berth. I do the same when I see blinds set up, though if there is no one there for days/weeks/months prior to (and even during) the hunt it burns my craw a bit. That said ... I've been sitting spots before light and had guys jump right into the area I'm hunting, knowing I'm there ... and my bet is it is the same guys who set equipment on spots months ahead of time ... they don't respect the sport or the sportsmen. Times like that I thank God for the maturity he's bestowed on me over the past several years.

I agree sjvcon- I usually go out of my way to avoid conflict in the woods, I hunt because I love it, hence one of the reasons I don't guide, my experience is that the ones that "claim" spots, or have disregard for fellow hunters are the ones that have a financial motive, or ego motives. I've only walked by one person that beat me to a spot, and it was because I had invited a group of "friends" (that hadn't had luck for 3 days) into an area and 2 good bucks were killed in back to back days. I asked that if they would please respect a spot that they were shown. Well of course opening day of the next year, here was one of the "friends" and a few other guys hunting that exact spot. I was in the wrong to walk past them, but I was mad enough that common sense went out the window. . Funny thing is, they took 11-13 shots at a little dink deer and gut shot it, recovered it and left, and later that afternoon we killed a 112 buck.

Respect for keeping the forests clean, respect for leaving others property alone, respect for spots shown to you by others, respect for women and children and respect for other human beings in general are eroding along with the entire morals of our great country.

• Like 3

another problem with crap cluttering hunting spots - chances are it may not even be his best spot-or first choice - its his backup plan

this has happened more than once -

I know for a fact- a guys stand and camera location - knew he was drawn so I gave him some "room" to hunt, here i find him 2 miles away opening day - we chat - oh -- he planned on hunting that area the next weekend.

we can go on and on about this topic - we well never all agree

we all want to hunt where we want and when we want but lets just all try to respect the first come first serve attitude!

some -exceptions to people who claim jump spots that they were suppose to RESPECT- but that's the chance ya take when you show someone your spot-- but it would p.o. anyone

• Like 1

How about this? I just got back from a couple days in the woods. There is a really nice game trail on the top of a ridge. The same two tree stands have sat in trees year round for 4 solid years now (that I know of). It bugs me because they think the own that part of the forest and now the inside of the seat is on the ground in pieces (which I left ).

Here's what I do. I hunt around them because I've chased enough animals in the area to know where the beds are and that the big deer don't use that trail during the day. I also know where the big ones daytime hang outs are. I could've never learned all this sitting in a stand.

They can have the trail because the area also holds too many humans for me. But at this point if I wanted to use it and they weren't there, I would.

Thanks for all the interesting points to the topic of someone (me, in this case) hunting at a spot where there is a camera and a stand, on forest, I may add. Although I appreciate all the varying thoughts, I know exactly how I feel about it. All BS aside, its just as much my spot as it is his spot. I have been going to this spot for over 5 years, and whether he has been using this spot for 10 months or 10 years, He doesnt own it, and I dont own it. The rule of the land is, whoever gets there first, on the day of, should be able to have first crack at it. That being said, the reason I posted it was to see if I could contact the owner of the stand and touch base about when either of us plan to be there. I was not able to do that, but did get many PMs on locations people thought it was. Its NOT in 21, 22, or 23, or anywhere at LEAST 100 miles of payson. figured I would post that instead of sending 17 messages, especially just barely learning about PMs and how to access them. Thanks.

I had 2 more cameras and ground blinds stolen this summer. They left enough gear still there to make it not the forest service. I'm averaging 2 stands a year being messed with or totally vanishing. If everyone thinks these are just a few guys, your drinking cool ade with something special in it. It's a whole bunch of us hunters that are super d bags out there, and i mean a whole bunch, like 20 percent of the whole crew out there hunting has to be stealing all this stuff. You just can't have a few guys cover this much area in the state. I know if your one of the super d bags and you read this it doesn't bother you to hear honest people getting ripped off, but all i can hope is that you step on a rattlesnake in front of my stand and i get pictures of the aftermath. It's unbelievable how many dishonest guys are out there.

You hit it on the nail. To many hunters out there now a days are resentful and jealous because you beat them to a "spot" and got your stand/camera out before they did, so now because they are pissed off that you beat them to the spot, they decide to claim your crap (steal it) or take legal action (steal it) for their own gains. Too many d bags out there. But you know what, on the bright side Karma is a bitch. These "hunters" that act like d-bags are probably the ones not harvesting crap, which makes them even more angry. That karma will catch up to those camera/tree stand thieves when they have their trucks broken into by someone else or have something stolen of theirs. Btw I had 6 cameras stolen last year.

With that said, Bownut, treat the situation like you would like it to be handled if it was your spot. Leave the man a courtesy note, but by all means hunt the spot.

Ok so to help with any issues with this next season, I think it's only fair that since I will be in 27 this year that I would ask for everyones hunnyhole locations and stand placements in advance and probably along with any watering holes that they will be hunting for lets say the archery season, maybe rifle season and hopefully archery elk. In this way I will be able to in advance to avoid all such places, you know just so I don't bother you or your spots. GPS coordinates will work but you could also post a map with markers on it like maybe from google maps, bing maps or caltopo (just suggestions) or any other software you use. Pics of maps will work as well posted on this thread.

You know descriptions of the animals you've been scouting will help out as well, so you know I won't shoot to buck or elk you've been eyeing all year. Pics with locations like the ones described above would really help as well just so I know which one's not to go after.

Also I'll be camping somewhere out there during the year (I'll post coordinates), so if anyone of you comes along feel free to some food in the coolers, drinks on ice (FYI I don't drink booze) and a nice nap in the shade while I'm out running after the animals you all haven't claimed yet.

So thanks for your help and see you all out there.

• Like 1