Sign in to follow this  
5guyshunting

gila monster

I've been here since 1979 and I've only seen 3 ever in the wild.

The last time I saw one was over by Seven Springs about 10 years ago and the time before that was by Canyon Lake another 10 or so years before that.

They seem to be a pretty rare sight. Too bad the video didn't work.

I just saw my first one ever last weekend. I have only lived here 2.5 years though. I thought I would never see one. It was amazing.

OK guys here is a pic I took while chasing Coues a few years ago. I have run into several over the years, very interesting animal if you ask me.

post-5396-0-95604800-1395340133_thumb.jpg

Gila Monsters are just awesome. I feel really lucky to have encountered quite a few. As a teenager I tried to corral one into the open long enough for my friends to have a look. The hiss he gave I will always remember! Great pic!

Awesome! We just saw one today on the way back from the lake. They are one of the coolest desert animals out there.

It was so awesome to see my first one today what a interesting experience it was. the hiss was enough to make me stand back lol.

Nice pics. I found a place that has basically unlimited gila monsters. You have to be there in march and april, but it's not uncommon to see 20 in a season, and no they are not the same ones. it's a gila monster rutting ground or something. It's amazing to see all the differences in size and body structure of these beautiful lizards. Before finding this place i had seen around 5 in the wild, now at least 30 diff lizards. Does anyone know if gila monsters congregate during april, or if this place is something weird. I call the trail i walk to see them all the "gila monster highway", cause for some reason they all walk down this little trail, and all you have to do is ramble down the trail to see at least 5 per day.

In the last month I have seen 3 Gila Monsters in 3 different areas. The first one was at the Junior's Jackrabbit Camp near Three Points. Last weekend I saw the second one in Sabino Canyon and just this morning I saw the third one near Cochran (about 15 miles northeast of Florence by Gila River). Before these 3 I had only seen one other in the wild about 20 years ago on a canal bank in Casa Grande.