Sign in to follow this  
Kevin

Scrapes

I haven't been able to get out much lately, and definately not to AZ. I'll be hunting the last week of December in the SE units. I guess I'm curious if any of you that have made time to get out have started seeing scrapes yet. Good luck to you all!

Kevin

Next Sunday or Monday we have a cold front coming in and hopefully it will kick off the ruttin and the scrapen :P I hate to have to wait until Jan. 1'st, But oh well to bad so sad for me. It should be a good year to think about sittin over water...Aint had much rain lately.

Have either of you (or anyone else) ever made mock scrapes? I wouldn't have a clue how or where to make one but have read a little on the subject for non coues whitetails. 25-06, I think you are probably right with the water idea, however with my luck it will snow 12 feet the day before I start hunting!

Kevin

Here's a picture of a scrape in the desert from unit 31. The picture was from 2004.

post-25-1166197127_thumb.jpg

I found a few rubs while scouting earlier in Oct. and Nov. Put some salt in the area to see what would happen and found about ten more new rubs since then and about 5 or 6 scrapes now too. Didn't take pictures yet though. I did find the other side to a shed that I found last year though. About an 80-85" buck. It is pretty nice.