gonhunting247

New guy from Oregon

I wasn't sure where the right spot to introduce myself is, so this will have to do. I grew up in a small community in OR. I love hunting new places and testing myself with DIY adventures. Although I've hunted a lot of the western states and AK for various big game, I have never hunted AZ. I hope that will change this year! I am planning to try Javelina hunting in the Tucson area(I am a total newbie) and hopefully do some scouting for my first try at Coues deer soon. I also put in for late elk rifle and antelope just for kicks (who knows I could get super lucky). I'm looking forward to seeing all the pics and reading the great stories

Thanks, Bob E.

post-12267-0-29740500-1394924923_thumb.jpg

Welcome aboard! There are great folks on this site, with lots of info, if you can get it out of them. Just Kidding. Ask lots of questions, and buy the best glass you can afford, and you will do well.

• Like 1

Welcome! Let us know if you have questions or what you need help with.

• Like 1

good luck, coues are very humbling for people who come from other states, so don't be too surprised if it take you a while to get a good one! my dad has been here for 26 years and has yet to even see a 100" buck....

• Like 1

good luck, coues are very humbling for people who come from other states, so don't be too surprised if it take you a while to get a good one! my dad has been here for 26 years and has yet to even see a 100" buck....

Thanks,

I think that is what makes it so appealing. I'll work hard and have fun, after that hopefully I'll have some pics sooner or later :)

I'm used to being humbled, I grew up hunting blacktails in the wet OR brush!

I think there are probably a lot if guys on here that feel the same way I do, but I love to hunt and I love to help! If you're going to be hunting any of the southern units let me know and I will be glad to come along and help glass, might even be able to recruit a few more helpers. I'll warn you though, be careful. Hunting coues is kind of like shooting heroin, one hit and you will probably be addicted!

• Like 1

Sounds like you're no beginner when it comes to hunting since you've hunted several of the western states and AK. Parts of AZ especially the southern portion is wide open country for the most part and will take some good glass to improve your hunting of the desert ghost.

I'm always excited when a newbie from another part of the country joins us and hopefully you will share some pictures and hunts of your own with us. You'll find that a lot of cwt members are quite generous when it comes to sharing information.

Welcome to the site. Now, how about a story to go along with that black bear? :)

TJ

I think there are probably a lot if guys on here that feel the same way I do, but I love to hunt and I love to help! If you're going to be hunting any of the southern units let me know and I will be glad to come along and help glass, might even be able to recruit a few more helpers. I'll warn you though, be careful. Hunting coues is kind of like shooting heroin, one hit and you will probably be addicted!

I'll bet your right about being addicted! I appreciate everyone's willingness to help out. I will probably have a lot of questions because this will all be new to me!

Deer hunting has always been one of my favorites. I drew a Kodiak Island Goat tag this year( I'm lucky to have sisters that live in AK) so I hope to get a Sitka blacktail as a bonus too!

are you a duck fan? if so i am sorry but you cant be here :lol:

j/k man. welcome.

No Duck fans here! I'd be in real trouble from my own kids (my step-son graduated OSU last year and my son graduates OSU this year) So I'll stick to being a Beav's fan for my own good :)

• Like 1

Sounds like you're no beginner when it comes to hunting since you've hunted several of the western states and AK. Parts of AZ especially the southern portion is wide open country for the most part and will take some good glass to improve your hunting of the desert ghost.

I'm always excited when a newbie from another part of the country joins us and hopefully you will share some pictures and hunts of your own with us. You'll find that a lot of cwt members are quite generous when it comes to sharing information.

Welcome to the site. Now, how about a story to go along with that black bear? :)

TJ

I'm not a beginner but, I'll be the first to admit that I know nothing about Coues or Javelina hunting!(firsthand of course) I'll take all the advice I can get.

I definitely love to share stories and pics.(If i can help anyone with anything don't be afraid to ask. I'm no expert by far, but I'll try :)) I am really looking forward to hearing everyone elses stories and seeing their pics! I guess what it boils down to is, I love to hunt and I really get a kick out of meeting new people, hunting new critters and exploring new country.

About the bear; I wish I had an awesome story for you but I don't really. He's just a real nice bear I got locally last fall. I struck out early on up high in the huckleberries, I passed a couple up in the oaks(acorns) then when I finally saw a real nice one he slipped away like bears can do!

I try to get my Bear each year before deer season because it can get tough around here after that. My hunting schedule gets super busy that time of year and there isn't much daylight after work.

Anyway it was two days before deer season and I had an hour before dark, so I grabbed my gun and headed for a local little hidey hole on the edge of an orchard. I was sneaking along thinking I should head back for the house because it was right at legal shooting light when this big old guy's stomach got the best of him. He came sneaking in looking for a free meal. He disappeared for a bit, but I sit down and got ready because the wind hit the back of my neck. Sure enough he came scooting back by and hesitated just long enough for a good shot. So,as it sometimes does, my bear hunting year went from not so good, to great in a few moments.

Welcome aboard! There are great folks on this site, with lots of info, if you can get it out of them. Just Kidding. Ask lots of questions, and buy the best glass you can afford, and you will do well.

Thanks, I'm sure I'll have lots of questions. This site is cool!

Welcome. If you need help with your javi or coues hunt let me know. I'm far from the best of the best on this site but will do what I can.

Thanks it's really appreciated.I'll definitely have some questions about javelina hunting for starters. I'd like to hunt near Tucson and would love to hunt a unit I could kind of get a feel for the country for Coues hunting if possible. I've got a lot of research to do!

Welcome! Let us know if you have questions or what you need help with.

Thanks so much! After I do a little more research I'd love to hear your opinion on my thoughts.