Sign in to follow this  
pwrguy

Muzzy Elk in Colorado

So, I have accumulated enough points in Colorado to draw a muzzy rut hunt next year and I am thinking about going for it. I don't own a muzzle loader and Colorado has some pretty restrictive rules (no scopes, no sabots). I am looking for a good combination for this hunt and I don't mind spending a little money to get there. Is there a rifle that comes with a decent trigger from the factory? Suggestions on projectile/powder? Thanks.

My self and my family have tc encores. They really shoot well. They come with fiber optic sights, but a peep sight is better through my eyes. Look into power belt bullets. They aren't the best bullet out there when you compare em to sabots, but the are legal in CO. It's either that or the old school Great Plains bullets. Also there's no pellets allowed so you need to use loose powder. I would strongly suggest blackhorn 209 as it is far superior to pyrodex (garbage IMO). It's a fun hunt, if you're drawing a unit that takes less then 10 pts to draw, shoot the first legal bull you see. Colorado is not a trophy state, even the best units in co (that take 15-20 pts) don't have the quality of bulls that even the worst AZ unit does. It's still a fun hunt, the raghorns think they're herd bulls (cuz they are) and bugle their tails off. Just don't expect a big one, if you shoot a 6pt you are in the top 1% of bulls that come out of there. My dad hunted the same muzzleloader unit for 15 years in co, they took 5 guys a year and shot atleast 4 bulls a year (they took 60 some bulls out of there over the years) and the largest one was a 260 5 pt. Have fun, enjoy the fact that you get to chase bugling bulls with a firearm and smoke one!

I shot this bull last year in an OTC unit in southern co I've shot 5 6x6's in the last 12 years there you just have to get off the roads and glass

post-4491-0-23062200-1396071201_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

That's awesome Colorado has rules like that. That's how muzzleloader hunts should be! It's a "primitive" weapon so why should these muzzleloader guys be able to shoot animals out past 300 yards with them? And have scopes and basically have a single shot rifle because you can reload the things in about 2 seconds now. Every state needs to adopt those rules or just consider these muzzleloader hunts as rifle hunts because that's what it's turning into. Sorry for the rant just glad one state has it right.

• Like 3

/>I shot this bull last year in an OTC unit in southern co I've shot 5 6x6's in the last 12 years there you just have to get off the roads and glass

That's an awesome bull!

If your looking for a great Colorado legal muzzleloader bullet give a check into Thor bullets, you won't be disappointed.

I have a CVA "Accura" that I am happy with. It's is a well built, accurate gun that does not cost an arm and a leg. Mine is the "Mountain rifle" model, shorter and lighter than the regular one. It did not come with open sights, but aftermarket sights are usually better anyway. My CVA has a great trigger right out of the box.

I will second using "Blackhorn 209" powder, it's great. Cleaner, more power, less cleaning. Several companies make special breech plugs for BH 209, this is a worth while option.

As for projectiles, there are a lot of options.

"Power Belts" have a great reputation for ease of loading and accuracy. They have an iffy reputation for breaking up and not penetrating on elk sized game. The key seems to be using a heavy Power Belt, and not overloading it with too much powder. Keep the bullet over 300 grains, 348 or 405 is better, and don't use more than 90 or 100 grains of powder.

Harvester bullets also make a belted,bullet, might be worth checking in to.

Another full diameter Colorado legal bullet is the "No Excuses" bullet. They make a 460 grain, 50 caliber that would be devastating on a big elk. This bullet is a more traditional lead cronical in a "Keith" type simi wadcutter pattern. I have shot them and they seem to work best with a felt wad behind them.

I shot this bull last year in an OTC unit in southern co I've shot 5 6x6's in the last 12 years there you just have to get off the roads and glass

That is an impressive track record for sure. Are they eating the acorns or just passing through the oaks?

With the pressure from the first season elk draw only I hunt the second season which Is the first OTC tag for rifle, I hunt just off the top around 9000ft I get behind the glass bed them down then wait them out. By the way 3 of the 6 were killed between 12-1pm

Thanks for all the great replies. I have lots to look into now. I would not go up with great expectations, just looking to have a quality rut experience. That is not to say I won't be looking for a good one, I just won't be dissapointed if I come home with a small bull. I am hoping to do some over the counter hunting after next year, that is one of the reasons for getting into the primitive weapon hunts.

I would like some more responses on what rifles everyone is using. It seems like there are a lot of choices.

I have 2 that I use.

50 cal Johnston (ultimate) muzzleloader. they make one with open sights if needed.

50 cal T/C Pro Hunter Encore.

use only the Johnston muzzleloader now. would like to unload the T/C. no pun intended!

So...I would like to revive this thread and get some more input from CW members. So I took bowhnt's extra TC Pro hunter Encore off his hands, thank you by the way. He has this thing already dialed in great to use with a scope and sabots, but I have to make some changes to take it to Colorado. I have ordered Hornady FPB 350 Grain and TC Maxi-ball 370 grains as my first 2 bullets to try. I'm going to stick with the BH209 that he has had much success with. What would be a good starting powder charge, and how do you know when to stop, other than group size of course? In other words can you find a max charge published, or is there some sort of indicator? Thanks in advance for replies.