Sign in to follow this  
coatimundi01

What's a good bino power for the woods?

So I'm fairly new and have only hunted southern AZ oak scrub, ocotillo hills, Sonoran desert type terrain with an old hand-me-down pair of 10x50s. With my first elk hunt coming up in unit 27, what would be a good power for scanning I. The trees and looking across canyons and such. I've never hunted in the timber it I know the 10x50 will be too much. I'm thinking 8x42 is a good all-around power for the woods to still hunt in the trees and still have a bit of reach to put I the tripod and glass a bit. I'm I wrong? Should I be thinking even more compact like 8x32?

I am a fan of 8X binoculars and own two pair. Like the large field of view plus they are steadier to hand hold. 8 X 32's are perfect for a forest environment. I'd suggest taking a look at Zeiss Conquest's. Lot of value in the Conquest line.

I have both 8 and 10 power swaros. If i'm in the forest i will take the 8 powers over the 10's all day long. In my opinion the 8 powers make it easier to judge animals in the forest at ranges under 150 yards. 10 powers are to much to get a realistic assessment of an animals score. Go with the 8 x32s or 8 x42s and you will be happy.

I use Leupold 8 X 32's in Elk Country. I think 10's would be too much. I'm usually only glassing 100 to maybe 300 yds at the very most like across a meadow or something.

Guest akaspecials

10x42 on the neck. 15x50 on the tripod/in the pack. I used to just use 10x42, since I started carrying both everywhere I see three times more game. I'm not a fan of 8's. Personal preference thing... Go to a big store and try as many as you can.

Guest akaspecials
15x50 on the tripod/in the pack.

what are they? vortec vipers???

Right now my 10x42s are vortex diamondbacks and my 15x50 are vortex vipers.

I have 8x32's around my neck and 15's & a tripod in my pack, doesn't matter if I'm hunting mtns or desert

i agree but i wear a pair off zeiss 10's and 15's you gotta see um to be able to shot them, and them canyons can be 800yrds across

I don't think the 10s are too much for the forest. I think having both 8s and 10s would be a waste of money. If you want a second pair buy some 15s. 10s and 15s or 8s and 15s will have you covered for just about all hunting situations.

• Like 3

I like 10s too. I have put thousands of hours behind mine over the years. Probably already hundreds this year (2014). I have glassed game up from a single spot as close as 20 yds. to as far as almost two miles with the 10s. I could see antlers of a large mulie buck with the 10s at a mile and a half, and still see a quail at 20'. Love them.

My suggestion, I am not sure the quality of your glass, but if they are only so-so, buy GOOD glass in the 10x range. You will see a ton more stuff with them over just average glass.

/>I don't think the 10s are too much for the forest. I think having both 8s and 10s would be a waste of money. If you want a second pair buy some 15s. 10s and 15s or 8s and 15s will have you covered for just about all hunting situations.

Agreed, but the 10s I have now are older than I am and aren't the clearest. I've glassed bedded coues from far enough away it surprised me but the clear sweet spot on the just isn't very big. I'm on a budget so I've been looking at the vortex dback line and the plan was to get a pair of 8s and the 12x50 for longer stuff. Might even save up for the new $500 vortex vulture 15s instead of the 12s. Looked through a pair Saturday at sportsmans and they were nice. but that'll wait until next year! The 8s and a rangefinder this year!

8's all day for archery hunting elk. 8's are very steady and easier to hold with one hand if you have your bow in the other hand. Is your tag archery or rifle?

• Like 1