Sign in to follow this  
Christian2

Turkey's are silent in 6a

My son has a youth tag in 6A this weekend. I have spent the last two weekend scouting in area that has always been productive. We have walked miles and miles and have only seen three tracks, no scratches, and no poop. We had the same problem last year for the first time. Maybe some kind of die off??

If some one wouldn't mind passing along an area in 6A where there is some active turkey sign for my son's hunt, we would be very grateful.

Thanks,

Mark

try a coyoty locater, i us my fox pro, remember they go by the moon not the weather. next weekend will be hot

I have heard gobbles when the coyotes get going, but have a hard time trying to locate them with a call from an animal that is,going to eat them. I use owl calls before it gets light and after that nothing seems to be working. Going to try crow calling during the day when I get back up there.

• Like 1

I always have better luck with the coyote howl when they are on the roost. I use it when the others won't work.

• Like 1

I just got done scouting this morning, seems like most of our areas did not produce. We started calling around in the early light in the AM. Found 15 gobblers, and only 2 where paired up with hens. Looks like they are off to a late start which is a "HUGE" advantage. Look for sign on small 2 track roads.

We started at 4am this morning

• Like 3

Yes. Drive back into an area off a 2-track for several miles, get out and hike around. Use some topos to locate areas with plenty of water and ridge lines.

I have heard gobbles when the coyotes get going, but have a hard time trying to locate them with a call from an animal that is,going to eat them. I use owl calls before it gets light and after that nothing seems to be working. Going to try crow calling during the day when I get back up there.

its shock goobling and i watched a tom kick the sh"t out of a coyote last yrs. hit the caller load for a few seconds then turn it of fast and listen usally around 4:45am they turn on like a switch

Ok so just getting off main roads is best?

girl you pay attention and you will be the menture soon. good luck kid get of the main roads and try to get on top of the ridges and lissen

its shock goobling and i watched a tom kick the sh"t out of a coyote last yrs. hit the caller load for a few seconds then turn it of fast and listen usally around 4:45am they turn on like a switch

Ordered a coyote howler today!

Ok thanks for all the tips I'll be getting a coyote call to hopefully locate one and the call it in. Is there specific places they like to be at certain hours of the day??

Ok thanks for all the tips I'll be getting a coyote call to hopefully locate one and the call it in. Is there specific places they like to be at certain hours of the day??

We just use the flextone hand held call and it has the owl, crow and coyote. Remeber to use the coyote when they are roosted or you will probably send them runnin the opposite direction if not. We have been able to get them to respond by using the cutting technique as well. Two weekends ago we got them to gobble with the coyote call right as they were heading back to the their roost. They flew up 20 yard from us, this was a pretty cool experience!

trust me coyotes don' really bother them, i use mine to locate them all day long, used to use the crow call but not anymore