Sign in to follow this  
Tdub

Turkey Tactics!

Since I'm new to turkey hunting I would like to see what others do when they are turkey hunting. From my limited experience early morning and late evening are the best time to be in the field. Two weekends ago we had turkeys calling all day strutting back and forth and this last weekend they had taken their hens and separated. They would call on the roost and then stopped when they hit the ground. Since I have limited time to hunt I usually try to stay out most of the day. Here are a few questions for the pros!

1- When you set up by a roost and the tom flys down and heads the opposite direction what's a good action plan?

2- After the birds become quiet what can one do throughout the day to be successful?

3- We are seeing a little more sign around water, so turkeys drink randomly or are they more apt to drink in the mornings or the evenings?

After this weekend we set up about 80 yards or less from a roost. We did some tree yelps and called for a good while hoping we could attract a jake or something. We tried not to call too much but didn't interest anything. So we checked out a couple areas before heading home. My daughter has the 23 youth tag this weekend so we are excited to get out.

Hi, I hope you're taking your Daughter to the Youth Turkey Camp at Colcord Ridge. See writeup in turkey forum. To answer your questions;

1. Swing wide around and set - up in front of them.

2. Spot and stalk.

3. I've never seen a turkey take a drink. They get all their needed moisture from plants and bugs, but do go to water for those same things.

Best of luck to your Daughter on her hunt.

remember turking hunting useally end with woulda , coulda, shoulda you will find out they are amazing birds, and frustrating

• Like 1

remember turking hunting useally end with woulda , coulda, shoulda you will find out they are amazing birds, and frustrating

You got that right woody! My family asks why I keep going, it's become a family joke, they send me every article they find about turkeys from California to Florida ! Love hearing them gobble, now just need to get to the next step!

• Like 1

Hi, I hope you're taking your Daughter to the Youth Turkey Camp at Colcord Ridge. See writeup in turkey forum. To answer your questions; 1. Swing wide around and set - up in front of them. 2. Spot and stalk. 3. I've never seen a turkey take a drink. They get all their needed moisture from plants and bugs, but do go to water for those same things. Best of luck to your Daughter on her hunt.

Yes we are registered for the camp. We are going to be camping further south but plan on being at the camp both days.

This sums it up perfectly! I guess this is what intrigues me about them.

not totally true i've seen them drink all the time. middle of the day

• Like 1

Turkeys need to have water every day. Here on the mountain the normal routine is to fly off the roast, feed toward the water hole, the feed back up the ridges

and slopes, They may not make it to water before midday but won't wait much longer.

• Like 2

/>Turkeys need to have water every day. Here on the mountain the normal routine is to fly off the roast, feed toward the water hole, the feed back up the ridges

and slopes, They may not make it to water before midday but won't wait much longer.

I have heard they can survive on the dew and moisture on the grass, therefore not needing water everyday? Maybe I'm wrong???

• Like 1

they will if theres a drought, but they love there water if they can find it in there circle

Listen to photofool they normally drink every day.

Vowell, there isn't any moisture in the grass around Flagstaff right now, so they aren't getting it from there.

Tdub,

If you call when they are in the roost and ignore you, go back and set-up around 8-10 am they will usally come back looking for you.

and why would you call in the evening from the roost they have 3 or 4 roost areas ,if they come back to where you are calling it isn't from your

calling it's because they are feeding back from where they spent the afternoon .

• Like 1

Turkeys need to have water every day. Here on the mountain the normal routine is to fly off the roast, feed toward the water hole, the feed back up the ridges

This makes sense, the birds roost between two watering areas. The first time we were there we didn't see much sign around one but this last time there was some good sign. It might be used more since they have seperated.

+1, you gettin this kid

I sure am! I appreciate the info, Because we are limited on days we are out this first weekend I want to make the most of it. I also read that early in the season it is better to take it slow and not push the birds to much because you will move them out of the area. As the season goes on the more aggresive you should hunt them, I'm not sure where are season is at since AZ seems to start their hunts later.

Listen to photofool they normally drink every day.

Vowell, there isn't any moisture in the grass around Flagstaff right now, so they aren't getting it from there.

Tdub,

If you call when they are in the roost and ignore you, go back and set-up around 8-10 am they will usally come back looking for you.

and why would you call in the evening from the roost they have 3 or 4 roost areas ,if they come back to where you are calling it isn't from your

calling it's because they are feeding back from where they spent the afternoon .

This is great info, There seems to be a ton of sign in one general area. I would imagine that when they fly off the roost they aren't going to far. I'm not sure what you mean by calling in the evening at the roost areas. The first time we went out we did a locator call to see if we could find them right as it got dark, as we were walking toward the gobble we had the turkeys fly into the trees about 30 yards from us so we just backed out. Thanks for the great info, everyday it is getting harder and harder to focus here at work!

Make sure you get to the Colcord camp early and try hard to get paired up with one of the experienced folks assisting kids right away. Let them know that you've already located birds and you might get an "in" with someone. It's a great camp but in 2 years (5 hunting days) we only got paired up on 2 mornings and no afternoons. My kids got a little frustrated when their crappy guide (me) couldn't get birds to answer or come in when they did answer and the last Sunday they asked if we could skip the hunt and fish Canyon Creek instead. B) My turkey abilities are turning kids to fish but it sounds like you're starting off a bit further ahead. Good luck on the hunt!