Sign in to follow this  
AZkiller

Bigger gear for bigger animals

/>I see this thread as pointless and can only hurt the hunting community.. Everyone has their ways of getting it done, some will agree, some will disagree. I think before you make BOLD statements that "archery hunters wound more than rifle hunters," You should at least have some facts to back this up.

I could argue that my 300wsm 180gr bullet has 500 more ft/lbs of energy at 500 yards vs. your 375H&H with a 250gr bullet, but I am sure you already knew that.

In my opinion Kinetic energy does not kill animals, arterial hemorrhage does. I shoot a light arrow with a mechanical head and have taken seven of the ten big game species with it. I have also shot a Javelina at 20 feet with a 454 casul and it ran away and I have witnessed elk drop with a 90 grain 6mm bullet. Most of the animals that I have heard of being lost is because of operator error and not equipment issues.

Let's not forget to add in tracking skills, and "it didn't drop so I must have missed" or, "there's not a pool of blood where it was standing when I shot so I missed."

• Like 5

/>

I'm not sayin it can't be done, I'm just sayin it can be done better

Do you guys read stuff or just get pissed if someone doesn't agree with you?

Go back to last year and look at all of the elk in the lost and found box. How can that be fixed? I said placement is the most important thing. What is the answer? I am not an archery hunter because I don't have the time to dedicate to practice needed to be successful. Do you all have any ideas to reduce the number of lost elk?

Come up with a magic pill that helps people stay calm, come up with a way to stop the wind, remove all tree branches from the planet, don't let people hunt that don't practice, get rid of bad luck.. You could say a million things. Plain and simple, there are too many variables that you can't control. Unfortunately, there will always be some wounded animals. I'm not pissed at you either but you need to be realistic and realize your "bigger is better" attitude isn't going to solve anything.

I'll take a bottle of those magic calm pills!

• Like 2

Go back to last year and look at all of the elk in the lost and found box. How can that be fixed? I said placement is the most important thing. What is the answer? I am not an archery hunter because I don't have the time to dedicate to practice needed to be successful. Do you all have any ideas to reduce the number of lost elk?

Last years lost in found is getting worse every year, I found a cow last year that had 4 broadheads in it amognst the bones,2 years before that in 5 b I found 5 broadheads in the dead elk bones are you kidding me most of the people on this site I think are newbies I don't get pissed I just state the facts from my experiance,back in the day we use to have are hunters use 220 grain bullets so they could bust the shoulder and then finish it off.I have read the posts on past thru shots with a bow I have killed well over 30-40 animals with my bows only one of those wasn't a pass thru were the heck are you guys aiming.more elk are lost with a rifle then the drug store archery hunters it's a fact I once glassed a guy shooting a 30 06 hit a elk 6 times and walk away thinking he never hit it because it didn't fall over.once in the Dragoon mountains we watched 3 guys shoot at a deer 26 shots they hit it 16 times and still didn't kill it.I think people spend more time on these forums then they ever will in the woods.

Last years lost in found is getting worse every year, I found a cow last year that had 4 ulmers broadheads in it amognst the bones,2 years before that in 5 b I found 5 broadheads in the dead elk bones are you kidding me most of the people on this site I think are newbies I don't get pissed I just state the facts from my experiance,back in the day we use to have are hunters use 220 grain bullets so they could bust the shoulder and then finish it off.I have read the posts on past thru shots with a bow I have killed well over 30-40 animals with my bows only one of those wasn't a pass thru were the heck are you guys aiming.more elk are lost with a rifle then the drug store archery hunters it's a fact I once glassed a guy shooting a 30 06 hit a elk 6 times and walk away thinking he never hit it because it didn't fall over.once in the Dragoon mountains we watched 3 guys shoot at a deer 26 shots they hit it 16 times and still didn't kill it.I think people spend more time on these forums then they ever will in the woods.

Once again, its not the equipment its the operator. A bigger gun, heavier arrow, does not make you a better hunter. First Coues was 80 is right if we shoot we need to follow up. Take the time and track.

I call bs on finding 4 broadheads amongst the bones, and then finding 5 in another. That's impossible to get hit that many times with any broadhead and get away. Also 16 shots in any deer would be impossible even if it was a 22. Sorry

• Like 2

I call bs on finding 4 broadheads amongst the bones, and then finding 5 in another. That's impossible to get hit that many times with any broadhead and get away. Also 16 shots in any deer would be impossible even if it was a 22. Sorry

your an idiot ,I took pictures of the elk with 5 broadheads in it if i can find it i will post it,and a game and fish officer witnessed the 16 shots and wrote them a citation

so shut your trap dumb a@S

I'm not calling anybody a liar but how do you connect on a deer with 16 30-06s and it gets away? Seems impossible to me unless they hit nothing but tail and ear with at least 15 of em.

I'm not calling anybody a liar but how do you connect on a deer with 16 30-06s and it gets away? Seems impossible to me unless they hit nothing but tail and ear with at least 15 of em.

We thought it was someone target practicing untill we thru up the spotting scope they were shooting 500-600 yards away they hit in in the legs the hoof the ear you name it we meet up with the officer later and he told us he wrote them up there was nothing left to salvage guts hanging out it was ashame.